Author Topic: Noel Cottages, Bletchley  (Read 2664 times)

Offline IAFC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Noel Cottages, Bletchley
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Has anyone ever heard of Noel Cottages in Bletchley?

Regards

IanC

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Noel Cottages, Bletchley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

What time period are we looking at to try to find these cottages

cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline IAFC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dinie

My info, as attached, is from a Great War document of 1915.

I have to say that I was raised from birth in Fenny/Bletchley and lived there until I was 35 before moving to New Bradwell (and then on to Ireland in the summer), and I had never heard of Noel Cottages.

Regards

IanC

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

I have family in Bletchley still, they have been there many years so I will ask if they have heard of it. I still live in MK myself.
If I can find anything out, i'll let you know.
cheers
dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Fiona Warner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian, I do hope you are still on the group to hear this happy news.  I have heard of them!  They are a set of 8 workers cottages built by Lord Leon (Noel being his name in reverse) in 1904.  They are situated on Church Green Road in Bletchley.  Lord Leon also built a former set, named after himself (the Leon Cottages) also on Church Green Road.  There are photos of the cottages in the Mansion at Bletchley Park, and also in the Old Beams pub in Shenley Lodge, Milton Keynes.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian, I do hope you are still on the group to hear this happy news.  I have heard of them!  They are a set of 8 workers cottages built by Lord Leon (Noel being his name in reverse) in 1904.  They are situated on Church Green Road in Bletchley.  Lord Leon also built a former set, named after himself (the Leon Cottages) also on Church Green Road.  There are photos of the cottages in the Mansion at Bletchley Park, and also in the Old Beams pub in Shenley Lodge, Milton Keynes.

If you contact Bletchley Archaeological and Historical Society I think they may have some old photos too.

http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/bahs/archive.html

The MK Heritage Association website is always a useful place to look for info about anywhere in greater Milton Keynes.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a postcard currently for sale of the first link above by sugarbakers on ebay. It's £6.

Tried to add think but it went wrong.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017