Author Topic: John Whithead, Mayor of Coventry 1598  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Whithead, Mayor of Coventry 1598
« on: Saturday 05 February 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
 :)Does anyone think they might be descended from John Whit(e)head, Mercer and Mayor of Coventry in 1598?  He died during his tenure of office.  PCC Will.  Wall Brass in Holy Trinity, Coventry.  My Whitehead ancestors are only in Coventry 19-20 century, previous to this they were farmers in Baxterley, N. Warcks, and previous to that c.1600 in Middleton, Nr Tamworth.  Simon Whitehead, [bur 25 May 1666] = Grace? 1640? son Richard [bur 16 Apr 1708, Baxterley] =Elizabeth Underhill 18 May 1664, Middleton,Warcks. Family remained in Baxterley until c. 1830s when Joseph became Farm Manager at Canley, Coventry.
I have been on this search for 40 years and would like to know of anyone else who may be connected please.
Another tantalising event is the burial on Christmas Day 1732at Baxterley of father and son both John Whitehead.  An epidemic or some kind or a family row?  No comment in the parish register or BTs.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline peterwhitehead215

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Whithead, Mayor of Coventry 1598
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

I am just starting to investigate the possibility of John Whitehead (Mayor) having links with my Whitehead ancestors which so far go back to a John Whitehead who died in 1661 and married Joanne Bishop whose father owned Nailcote Farm (now Hall) in Berkswell.  You mention a Simon Whitehead who I also have in my line and who lived in Cow Lane Coventry and died in 1866 (buried on 14th March in London Rd Cemetry).  Let me know if you want any info - I amhoping to try and find the grave & visit Berkswell this coming Weds (25th March2009) with another descendent.

Offline kathyp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

I too am interested in the Whiteheads, my relative Jonathan Adkins married John and Joanne's daughter Elizabeth in 1655, so going back we must share descendants.  We visited Berkswell in 2012 to look at gravestones etc.  I have a tree on Ancestry - if you look up Elizabeth Whitehead 1630 m. to Jonathan Adkins you'll see the link.  We know from Nailcote Farm history that a John Whitehead left Nailcote Farm to our ancestor John Adkins in 1701 or 1737 (conflicting stories!).  How did you get on in filling the blanks for the earlier years and did you make the link to the Mayor?
Would love to hear from you please.

Kind regards
Kathy

Offline philyou

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
i am related to the whitehead family trough my grat grand mother harriet whitehead birn hurleywarwickshire 1840 iam tracing the whitehead family back kind regars philip young

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
:)Does anyone think they might be descended from John Whit(e)head, Mercer and Mayor of Coventry in 1598?  He died during his tenure of office.  PCC Will.  Wall Brass in Holy Trinity, Coventry.  My Whitehead ancestors are only in Coventry 19-20 century, previous to this they were farmers in Baxterley, N. Warcks, and previous to that c.1600 in Middleton, Nr Tamworth.  Simon Whitehead, [bur 25 May 1666] = Grace? 1640? son Richard [bur 16 Apr 1708, Baxterley] =Elizabeth Underhill 18 May 1664, Middleton,Warcks. Family remained in Baxterley until c. 1830s when Joseph became Farm Manager at Canley, Coventry.
I have been on this search for 40 years and would like to know of anyone else who may be connected please.
Another tantalising event is the burial on Christmas Day 1732at Baxterley of father and son both John Whitehead.  An epidemic or some kind or a family row?  No comment in the parish register or BTs.

Hello there
I am unfortunately not connected to the Berkeswell and South Warwickshire (Fillongley etc) line though my ancestor Joseph Whitehead jnr = Harrriet Gilks (both farming families) by Licence at Berkeswell Church in 1850.   If any of mine link to John (Mayor of Coventry) it would be through a younger son who did not inherit the family farm in North Warwickshire but it may be quite impossible to prove.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Just picking this topic back up and have only just seen the 2013 post.   Can't move this on any further at present but interested in making contact with anyone out there still researching this!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I can merge your two profiles together if you wish, that way you can access all your old posts and notifications.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
That would be great Sarah - many thanks

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Just picking this topic back up and have only just seen the 2013 post.   Can't move this on any further at present but interested in making contact with anyone out there still researching this!

There is a PCC Will for the Mayor of course.   I have a copy but have not looked at it for some long time now.   Have you perhaps picked up descendants [the opposite route of true Family History but sometimes useful if the Christian name pattern continues down as it does sometimes.]Let me know what you think Peter.   It is so strange that I have near ancestors marrying in Berkeswell but no known connection with the Berkeswell Whiteheads and Nailcote Hall.
Happy Hunting
Leics. Vincent