Author Topic: Help please how to revert wordpad back to notepad  (Read 6652 times)

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help please how to revert wordpad back to notepad
« on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please can you help
I use notepad but now when I save a notepad it is saved as word pad! As have all my previous saved note pad have changed to wordpad. How can I change them back without losing them?
Ann E

Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please how to revert wordpad back to notepad
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Ann, you don't save files as Wordpad or Notepad - the main difference between the two programs is that Wordpad will decode the embedded commands which format texts and define fonts, etc, which are used in the full-blown version of Microsoft Word, which stores files with .doc and .docx suffixes. If you want to save documents in Wordpad so that they can be opened by Notepad, all you have to do is save them as text files with the .txt suffix.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick,
Thank you for your reply, that is what I do, I open a notepad put in the info then save it to a file, but when I open the saved notepad it  opens as
wordpad!
Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Ahh, you need your file preferences changing.....

Open Windows Explorer, and at the top of the page click on Folder Options, then click on the File Types tab in the box that opens.

It may take a few seconds for the list to appear.

Scroll down the list for the file extension that you're having problems with (i.e. TXT), and left-click on it.

Underneath you'll see a box that says "Opens With", and it will probably say "Wordpad".

Click on the Change button, and another box will open, offering alternative programs to open the file - choose "Notepad".
Make sure the "Always use this selection to open this type of file" is ticked.

Then click OK. Then next time you click on a .txt file, it will always open in Notepad. There's also the option of right-clicking the file and using the "Open With" command, should you decide you want to open it in Wordpad.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 08 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nick,
 I will do that, just one last thing I take all my files that I had original saved notepad & now are wordpad will be changed back to notepad & I wont lose any info in them.
Thank you again
Ann E