Author Topic: Seaton Sluice  (Read 31295 times)

Offline SilentForce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton Sluice
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in Forster & Lynn surnames from Seaton Sluice.

My Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Burt (maiden name Forster) b1840 in Seaton Sluice

Her parents were James Forster b abt 1807, Margeret (unknown maiden name at this point) b abt 1800 both in Seaton Sluice

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 September 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
I also have an interest in Seaton Sluice. My family were the Doughertys (spelling varies considerably , Dockerty, Docherty Doherty, etc.) Mark Patterson Dougherty was baptised 21 Jan 1832 at Earsdon. He was a glassman aged 11 on 1851 census, lived in Seaton Sluice all his life working at the Glass Works but by 1881 was a coal miner. His parents were Charles D. and Ann Patterson. By 1841  Ann was a widow. Mark seems to be the youngest child. I have not managed to find the burial place of Charles D. Not in Earsdon burials. Which other churches should I consider?

I visited Seaton Sluice over Heritage Weekend recently and went to the Bottleworks Exhibition and the Watch House - very interesting.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 September 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Burt (maiden name Forster) b1840 in Seaton Sluice

Her parents were James Forster b abt 1807, Margeret (unknown maiden name at this point) b abt 1800 both in Seaton Sluice

My g g grandmother was Elizabeth Dickinson nee Forster, born 1827. Her sister Jane born in Jan 1829 married Charles Crisp. Could your g g grandmother be connected to them?
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline Faithen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ggrandparents Henry and Jennie Geggie nee Wright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 04:52 GMT (UK) »
hello I am rearching my family tree
came across a Barabra Lynn, Coxhoe, durham, Her Father was Robert Lynn Butcher
 Married Thomas Jameson 1853, Easington, Durham, father Mark Jameson Gamekeeper

Not sure if this helps but please let me no
Regards
Sarah Newell
ALL Newcastle - Elswick, Blaydon, Durham, West end,Lemington, West Denton .
Scotland all over
 & Ireland mainly North of Ahgohill, County Antrim
NAMES ;

Newell - Geggie - Faithen - Faichen - Thirwell - Thompson - Rose - Cooper -Rooney - Bilton & Nichol, Mitchell, Ross, Perry,Ewart,Hamilton,Miller,McMeekin

Offline ianburnett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 December 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  My family are from Seaton Sluice, in fact my father was born there and I live just along the road.  I am researching Burnett's from Seaton Sluice.  William Burnett born 1776 in Nafferton near Ovingham is my 4xgreat-grandfather and I assume he came to Seaton Sluice to work in the bottle works. 
I too, started my family tree years ago, before computers and last year decided to dig out all my old files to get it into some order.
Good luck!
Angela

I am starting to research the Burnett family tree and have discovered William Burnett (1776-1852) is my 5 x great-grandfather. Just thought I would make contact as I discovered this website and will post more if people wish.

Ian.

Offline angel103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 March 10 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  My family are from Seaton Sluice, in fact my father was born there and I live just along the road.  I am researching Burnett's from Seaton Sluice.  William Burnett born 1776 in Nafferton near Ovingham is my 4xgreat-grandfather and I assume he came to Seaton Sluice to work in the bottle works. 
I too, started my family tree years ago, before computers and last year decided to dig out all my old files to get it into some order.
Good luck!
Angela

I am starting to research the Burnett family tree and have discovered William Burnett (1776-1852) is my 5 x great-grandfather. Just thought I would make contact as I discovered this website and will post more if people wish.

Ian.

Hi Ian!  Which of William's children are you descended from?  I am descended from his daughter Jane (1807-1887), her son Joseph (1834-1895), his son also Joseph (1862-1925), his son my grandfather, another Joseph (1901-1954).  You can contact me by email at scotta103@hotmail.com if you like.  There were a lot of quite well off Burnetts in Ovingham where William was from and I am trying to find the link.
Regards, Angela

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 March 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Angel103:

I have nothing to add on this as I don't come from Seaton Sluice; however, I did want to give a piece of advice - as you are fairly new to this site.  To send a PM (personal message), just double click on the name of the person you want to contact and send the message through there.  It is not advisable to send your e-mail through the open forum!

Best regards
lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Seems I am a bit behind on this thread - but am new to geneology. However thanks for the map. my 4x great grandfather was John Catcheside (No. 68) and would appreciate any info from anyone in regards Catchesides. John's daughter (Mary) married Mark Taylor (my 3x great grandfather) and would appreciate if anyone has anything on Taylor's in Seaton Sluice also.......(nice common name for you).
Thanks
Marcus

Offline JRussellClough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in Forster & Lynn surnames from Seaton Sluice.

My grandmother was Beatrice Annie Forster, her parents were Matthew and Eleanor Forster (that was her maiden name) - they had 5 children altogether and adopted one. Do these names fit with your research? If there are links please let me know.

Thanks, J Clough