Author Topic: arrival of Jane Boot - help please  (Read 4559 times)

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
arrival of Jane Boot - help please
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me find the arrival in Tasmania of Jane Boot, her mother Sarah and possible brother William. 

Jane was born around 1815, either England or Ireland.  She married Charles Bull at St. John's Church in Launceston in 1835. 

Clues as to her mother and brother are:  A Sarah Boot is listed as grandmother and informant on some of Jane's and William's childrens birth records and Charles Bull was witness at William's marriage to Harriet Nunn in 1841 and informant on some of his childrens birth records.

Have found a William Boot, convict, on board the Richmond in 1822 convicted at Warwick Assizes but no proof this is her father.

Anything appreciated, thanks.
Heather

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: arrival of Jane Boot - help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 07:22 GMT (UK) »
BOOT  SARAH died 10/1/1863 aged 69
Registered Place LAunceston Number 268/1863 Reference: RGD 35

unfortunately  not a lot of information on early Tasmanian Certificates

Another  possible sibling

BOOT Elizabeth married William FOILE  15/6/1869
Registration Place  LAUNCESTON Registration Number1326/1829
ReferenceRGD 36

Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jenn,
No not much info on certificates, this lady is especially hard to find, I am okay after her marriage to Charles Bull but dont know how or when she arrived.

Cheers,
Heather

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 10:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~austashs/immig/unkno_b.htm

try  this  link  information  on Sarah and William Boot  and their son William Boott

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline andacala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
William & Sarah Boot are my 5th GG's. William was born 1783, Nottinghamshire and married Sarah (maiden name unknown) on 29/6/1812 in Nottinghamshire. Sarah was born in 1794.
They had two children - Jane (my 4th GG) born in Ireland in 1815 and William, born 1821 in Nottinghamshire.
In 1821, William was sentenced to 14 years and transported to Van Diemens Land aboard the "Richmond". Another convict on board the "Richmond" was Charles Bull (my 4th GG) and the future husband of William's daughter, Jane Boot. It is believed that Sarah, Jane & William, came to Van Diemens Land aboard the Vibilia in 1833. The passenger list indicates a William Boot, Miss Boot & Mrs Mary Boot being aboard the ship (having left London) arriving in Hobart Town. I am unable to confirm if Mary was Sarah's middle name.
I have been unable to find anything on William following his release. Sarah died on 10/1/1863 in Launceston aged 69. Jane Boot married Charles Bull, on 23/3/1835 in Launceston. They went on to have 9 children.
William Jnr married Harriet Nunn (b 8/8/1821, Laxfield, Suffolk, England) on 22/9/1841 in Launceston. The couple had 4 children, William (b 16/8/1842), Mary Jane (b 9/1/1844) - the name of Mary supporting the belief that it may have been Sarah's first or second name); Harriet Mary (b 26/2/1847 in Launceston. Died 24/8/1935, Wynard, Tasmania); and Robert Henry (b 7/3/1849, Launceston, d 11/8/1925, Scottsdale, Tasmania).
I hope this information may be of assistance to you.   

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Jane Boot is my 4th gg as well.  I am related through their son John and Hannah Brumby.  I have had trouble finding anything out about Jane before her marriage to Charles Bull.  The timing of the Vibilla would be right.  I cant find a birth for Jane either and wonder why they were in Ireland for her birth as neither of her parents came from there.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Heather

Offline hwlambert

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 December 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this reference to the Vibilia and its passengers,
 Extract from Margaret Mickle's Memoirs

Margaret Mickle (nee Lyall) was the daughter of John Lyall, who emigrated alone from Scotland to Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) in 1833 on the Vibilia. He was joined by his wife and 5 of their children in 1836. His daughter, Margaret was 5 years of age at that time. She wrote her memoirs in 1892 relating to life in that colony in the 1830's and '40's. Also, obviously from, conversations with her parents, she wrote about the family's life in Scotland. Her memoirs can be viewed on the site:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~austashs/articles/micklediary.html

¹ On 6 July 1833 the Vibilia (360 tons) sailed from London and arrived in Hobart 21 October.
Steerage passengers were : David Best, wife and 2 children, George Best, wife and 4 children, Henry Jenkins and wife, George Shelverton and wife, Richard Ockesley and wife, Mr. Grant and wife, Mr. Wilmot, wife and 3 children, Mr. Thompson, wife and 3 children, John Lyall, George Gregg and wife, John Martin, (-?-) Best, Mr. Clarke, Mr. Boot, wife and sister, Mr. Williams, Mr. Harriatt, Mr. Baneanhan (?), wife and 3 children, Mr. Chamber, Mr. I. Cole, Mrs. Jolley, William Shelverton and son. Richard Evans was a cabin passenger.

Not sure how correct this information is but it could mean that this is not our Boot family.  I think I will have to get the passenger list to see if there is any more identifying information mentioned.

Heather

Offline caddie51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
William BOOT tried at WARWICK Quarter Sessions 1821 for Grand Larceny sentenced 9/07/1821 to 7 years was an 18 year old errand boy (Native place: BIRMINGHAM)
Sarah BOOT (grandmother) was the informant on the children's births of William BOOT 1842 and Robert BOOT 1849
Sarah BOOT (grandmother) was also an informant on the birth of Daniel BULL 1841.