Author Topic: Herbertsons of Dalton  (Read 10561 times)

Offline rickeyh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbertsons of Dalton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 December 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi AKC, hume pointed me at this post in response to my post at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=569421.new#new

I'm interested in the Robert you found born in 1807 to Robert Herbertson.

Do you have anymore details?

Regards
Rickey

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 December 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
hi rickeyh, that was all the information on the cert, he was born in feb and baptised 9th feb 1807

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have been on the trail of my 3 x great grandfather George Herbertson for a long time.  I was more or less convinced that he was one of the Herbertsons of Glasgow but was never able to prove much since I have only found the proclamation of his marriage which does not give his father's name, and I have never been able to find a death or burial record for him.
All I know for a certainty is that he married Isabella Anderson in Dirleton, East Lothian,  in 1835, they had three children,  Elizabeth 1835 (appears to have been born prior to their marriage), Thomas 1836 and Sarah 1839.
I think that George, who was a butler, worked at Gosford House and that between 1839 and 1841 he died.

RickeyH has pointed out that another possibility for George would be for him to be the son of Thomas Herbertson and Sarah Birrel of Dumfries, which would tie him in with the family being discussed in this thread (I think Thomas the Minister would be his great uncle and Rickey's Robert b. 1803 would be his first cousin).  The names of George's children add a lot of weight to this theory.

I wonder if anyone has any more info about George b. 1806 son of Thomas and Sarah?  The Dumfries connection is looking strong but it's going to be a lot of work deleting all those Glasgow Herbertsons from my tree!!!

Cheers
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline stegy3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 July 13 06:37 BST (UK) »
I have records of children born to Janet Herbertson and Kenneth McKenzie - in Dalton and later in Cummertrees. I can find no record of the marriage of Janet and Kenneth, but it seems likely that my Janet is also your Janet (d/o John and Elisabeth). The date and place match up, although I know that can sometimes be just coincidence. Happy to share details if you would be interested.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 August 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Apologies for my late reply.

It could be the same Janet. I'm not sure where I picked up the info re her marrying George Buckham but your one is definitely the right area.

If you could make two more public posts on here, you'll be able to use the PM system and we can share details. I don't have any further back than what's here though. Despite a fairly uncommon name, it's been hard to find them. :(

hume

Offline fishergate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 July 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the birth and parentage of William Beattie born 11th November 1796 (baptised 1st December 1796) father Andrew Beattie mother Margaret Herbertson of Dalton. Andrew and Margaret were married on 27th November 1796 in Dalton. I would be interested to know if this marriage was mentioned in the Dumfriesshire Kirk sessions. William became a tea dealer and on his journeys through Montgomeryshire married my 2x gt grandmother Elizabeth Newill. He died in Welshpool aged 78 in 1874. So I was interested to see the grave records in Dalton for the rest of the family.