Author Topic: Arthur E A Weston b1871 Standford on Teme Worcs  (Read 2504 times)

Offline aggie2347

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur E A Weston b1871 Standford on Teme Worcs
« on: Monday 01 December 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
After my last posting and with the help of the members I have made more progress with my family tree in a day than I have in the last 3 years.   With that in mind I would like to trace Arthur E A Weston b1871 at Stanford on Teme Worces.  The most up to date info is from the 1901 census which found him unmarried and living with his family at Didbrook Gloucestershire and working as an estate clerk.  I need to know if he married and had any children.  Can anyone out there point me in the right direction.  Thanking you in anticipation.  Ken Weston   

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur E A Weston b1871 Standford on Teme Worcs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 December 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Your first stop should be
freebmd.rootsweb.com

That shows a possible birth for him in 1871 at Martley district (covers Standford on Teme), as Arthur Ernest Weston.  It also shows an Arthur Ernest Weston who died in 1904 aged 33 in Wichcomb district (covers Didbrook).

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/GLS/Stanway/MIs.html
 - there is a Memorial inscription for this person in Stanway, GLS - whether this is the same as your 'Arthur E. A.' is not 100% clear but it looks reasonably close.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome :)

The first step is to ascertain his full name. This may not be as easy as it sounds:

1871 [Infant] Weston aged 1 month with parents Thomas and Mary in Stanford on Teme, RG10/3041/90/8

Birth reg: Arthur Ernest Weston Mar 1871 Martley 6c 294

1881: Arthur Edward [sic] Weston with mother Mary in Stanford on Teme: RG11/2908/87/6

1891: Arthur E D St A Weston, 20 b Stanford on Teme, Estate clerk, lodging in Temple Guiting: RG12/2039/14/12

1901: Arthur E A Weston, 30, Estate clerk, with parents in Stanford on Teme (you have this)

If you go to www.freebmd.org.uk you will find various marriages post-1901 which might be his, but hard to tell for sure given that his name seems rather fluid!

Good find by jorose re the death - perhaps he didn't live to marry after all...

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline aggie2347

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to AVM228 and Jorose.  It now seems likely that Arthur and his brother Thomas died childless so that part of my tree has come to a dead end.  The response to my questions has been superb and I am very grateful for the information albeit a disappoinment.  Well spotted Jorose for the death entry I would never have found this in a month of Sundays. all the best Ken W