Author Topic: ELLY Family of Bath  (Read 3083 times)

Offline dirtydave57

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ELLY Family of Bath
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Nice to fear from you. Bit confused with your reference William & Elizabeth as the parents of Nora. I have it as Isaac b 1849 Bath married Elizabeth in 1870, son of James b 1823 Bath & Harriett Stevens b 1819 Bath - 1 other son - Henry b 1846 Bath ( Isaac brother ). Do i read correctly that William & Martha are James parents & that William's parents are Isaac & Susanna
Newman, Holloway, Kemp, Bell, Westlake, Bumstead, Greenwood

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh Dear!

You are quite right - I'm just proving how easy it is to make mistakes.  I did of course mean Isaac & Elizabeth as the parents of Nora.  I'm not sure how William got in on the act!

Isaac married Elizabeth NEWMAN in 1870 in Bath (according the BathBMD either in the Bath Register Office or in a non-conformist church with a Registrar present).

Unless I've got this wrong as well  - Isaac was the son of James & Harriet nee STEVENS who were married 19th July 1846 at St Swithin's, Walcot, Bath.  I believe he was christened 25 Feb 1849 at Charlcombe but I have 5 siblings for him all christened at St Swithins.  Henry in 1846, Jane in 1851, Emma in 1855, Eliza Mary Ann in 1858 and Lucy in 1861.

James ELLY was the s/o William & Martha nee GRANT who were married in 1803 in Swainswick.
My direct ancestor was John ELLY an elder brother of James who married Betsy STEVENS (Harriet's sister).  Now you have permission to be confused!

William & Martha ELLY had 11 children between 1805 and 1826.

William was christened in Swainswick in 1782 a son of Isaac & Susannah ELLY nee BUTLER.  He was one of 12 children born between 1773 and 1793.

It's not surprising that there are so many ELLY and/or ELLEY families in Bath!

I hope I've got it right this time!  Thanks for your reply - it's good to be in contact with fellow researchers.

Pat
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline dirtydave57

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't researched too heavily into the ELLY name as it's not my main interest, but having provivded what you have is very helpfull. So thanks for that.

Kind regards

Dave from OZ
Newman, Holloway, Kemp, Bell, Westlake, Bumstead, Greenwood