Author Topic: Vandals and gravestones  (Read 3970 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Vandals and gravestones
« on: Tuesday 02 December 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I don't really know where to post this as I know this isn't a query, but I feel I must bring attention to it. :(

In the local newspaper, it was reported that 30 gravestones had been attacked and vandalised on a two night "drunken spree" at our town's graveyard. My 2x great-grandparents and countless other relatives are buried there, including my 2x great-grandmother's step sister. Today I decided to take a look for myself and see if the stones I knew of were okay. I know that sounds as if I worry only about my own, but I do care about other people's families and the hurt this causes. :(

I was shocked and disgusted to find my said great-grandmother's step sister's gravestone knocked down and the grass around it destroyed. A gravestone that has stood for nearly 50 years and not one mark on it a month ago; a gravestone of a person who I have spent months researching and caring about, just wishing to meet them one time.

I'm 18 years old, so I am probably considered the age of those who have done this crime. That does not really make a difference, but I just want to say that not all youths have such a disregard for their ancestors or the memorials that have been erected for them.

I would also like to ask if there is any way I could get the gravestone put back up? I'm afraid the answer will probably be 'no', and to tell my grandparents this will be awful. I'm actually quite scared to see their reaction. I would write into the newspaper but it would probably fall on deaf ears.

Thank you for reading.

hume24

Offline caroclay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vandals and gravestones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 11:36 GMT (UK) »
hi hume

we have recently had the same in our local graveyard

our family had to get my grandparents stone put back up and slightly repaired

we contacted the stone mason that made the stone and they repaired it an put it back up

but it is rather costly

it is such a shame that these people have no respect for the graveyard
but it will come to them when there parents are placed there and some wee thug destroys it they will learn the harm and hurt they have caused.

please do write to your local paper as it highlights the problem, and just maybe will help with getting more security in the graveyards.

reagards carolyn

CLAYTON (LANARKSHIRE (craignuek)& ENGLAND)
DEVLIN (LANARKSHIRE(newmain & craignuek) & IRELAND)
McANAW (craignuek, muirkirk LANARKSHIRE)
McALEER (LANARKSHIRE & IRELAND)
MARSHALL (DUMFRIES)
KEENAN (IRELAND)
MCGINNIS
HUGHES
PROUDFOOT
DUNBAR
McGEECHAN (craignuek & carfin)
KILTIE
TROTTER
KEEGAN
ADAMS

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for your reply.

The stone is not damaged itself so I hope there is a chance it could be put back up as it was. I have read just there that the council is looking into looking for relatives of each stone and if not found, they will repair the damage. It should really be case with all of them.

It is a shame that some people have no respect for the graveyard, especially since their own family could be, and probably are, buried there. :(

hume24

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folkes,

I think it is terrible that this happens by vandals and would hate for it to happen to any of my family headstones.  However, today I was laying flowers for my son at Liberton  cemetry in Edinburgh and was absolutley appalled that a vast majority of the headstones had been dismantled and laid down.  Now many of these 'looked to safe' at any time I have been there over the last few years.  I was shocked to see them all lying down.  Apparently it is a 'Health and Safety' thing.  I am not sure who pays for them to be reset, as I am certain that some may not even have anyone visit .
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I have an old graveyard behind my house.  Some years ago the road alongside it was widened and some gravestones were moved and placed against the wall.  They are now covered with bushes and ivy and no-one would know they are there.  Others around the edges are also now covered in ivy.

People are making the graveyard into a nature reserve but this does not mean moving the ivy or things from the graves.  Personally I think they are vandals too.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynda and Sylviaann,

Lynda, I do understand that some council workers are being told to pull down stones due to health and safety issues. This has happened several times in the local graveyard, mainly with tall and grand stones that obviously have not been found to have 'owners' or relatives. It is a terrible shame it's happening - surely the council should be preserving these and taking care no matter where the descendants are, if any? :(

Sylviaann, I am troubled that there's not enough respect for graveyards now or any types of memorials by some people in the community. As I say before, everyone has some relative that has been buried and had a gravestone put in place so I'm confused why anyone would seek to upset families by vandalism and disrespect.

hume24

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask which part of the country this happened in? Because in Swansea I get used to seeing litter such as empty cider cans and broken glass in graveyards left by yobs with nothing better to do.

Hopefully we want to get away from this sort of thing and lead a more rural life soon.

David
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke