Author Topic: CHARLES Family STOTFOLD- mam BROWN?  (Read 11547 times)

Offline carolgriff

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CHARLES Family STOTFOLD- mam BROWN?
« on: Tuesday 02 December 08 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

After a couple of years I think I have made a beakthrough re my Charles family of Stotfold.  To recap my Jabez Charles is the son of James and Mary Charles, Jabez was baptised Stotfold 1831, all of his siblings were also baptised there.

I have never found a marriage for Jabez' parents James and Mary and her maiden name was never given on any baptisms. 1851 census in stotfold shows Mary was born Sandon Herts and 1861 says something like Rysden Herts. James and Mary did have a child after 1837- Emma circa 1838 but I have never found a birth registered.

I have finally obtained a baptism cert of a female CHARLES born Stotfold 9 April 1838. dad is James Charles a labourer and mam is Mary Charles formerly BROWN.

Im pretty sure this could be Jabez' parents, all I need now is to find a marriage and a baptism for Mary. She will have been born about 1792 and I think they had their first child in Stotfold around 1815. IGI has Jabez and Jessie Browns as being baptised in Stotfold- names used by my Charles family- coincidence, a link or just popular names?

Any thoughts?

Carol
CHARLES COOPER BEDFORDSHIRE, WALL CLEMENS CORNWALL,  LOWTHER RONEY CUMBERLAND, ANDERSON RAMSHAW MULLEN DURHAM, NILES IRELAND, MCMULLEN HORROCKSLANCASHIRE, REED YORKSHIRE

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES Family STOTFOLD- mam BROWN?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:18 GMT (UK) »
You have probably seen it, but there are 2 Charles births in the district of Biggleswade (which includes Stotfold) 1838 - Jun Qtr Female CHARLES  Sep Qtr Emily CHARLES

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Carol

If you check the Hertfordshire Allen Marriage Index, which is now online at https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?esessionid=E13A730D728928E8F4643DDC48E20C32_2 , there's a marriage at Bygrave Herts on 13 March 1813 between James Charles of Stotfold and Mary Males

Bygrave is a couple of miles east of Stotfold, and 4 miles from Rushden where there's the baptism of a Mary Mailes on 5 Jan 1794 on the IGI. We speculated before that Rysden was either Rushden or Royston.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
There were two James Charles,  father and son, each with a wife Mary, in Stotfold, one starting to reproduce when his father left off (in fact there was a bit of an overlap). I suspect that you have the younger James, born c 1815 at Stotfold, whose wife Mary was born c1814 at St Pauls Walden, Herts. Unfortunately we only only get one bite of the cherry at her age/birthplace as she was dead by 1861 and James had remarried.

The younger James Charles had a daughter, Sarah, who was 3 in 1841. It looks as though you have the certificate for this child.

Odd, as I can't find a marriage to Mary Brown. Who I assume to be the younger James was married on 8 Nov 1834 at Stotfold to Mary Craft. Unless she was born Mary Brown and had married Mr Craft and was  a widow  when she married James Charles, but I can't find such a marriage. There's no chance Brown is a badly written Croft?

David

Offline carolgriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

i was just wondering re the posibility of Brown being a previous married name. This is the first birth cert i have for Bedfordshire, is the wording usually "charles formerly Brown"I too thought James jnr married Mary Craft- it definately looks like a Brown. i can scan and forwrad to whoever might be interested, just ask.

Thanks for the marriage details for Mary Males- I will have a look at that now.

Seems like my female Charles born 1838 could be James  Juniors Sarah just as easily as my Emma, im sure I have ruled the Emily Charles out before but cant remember how - sorry.

Anyway imglad I have the cert as either way it appears to be relatives of mine- James jnr was my Jabez'solder brother and it would be good to know who Mary Brown is.

Thanks so much for the input.

Carol
CHARLES COOPER BEDFORDSHIRE, WALL CLEMENS CORNWALL,  LOWTHER RONEY CUMBERLAND, ANDERSON RAMSHAW MULLEN DURHAM, NILES IRELAND, MCMULLEN HORROCKSLANCASHIRE, REED YORKSHIRE

Offline carolgriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES Family STOTFOLD
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Me again

thought id list the other certs I have just received incase they are of help or anyone can throw any light on who informants are etc

death Mary Charles of Stotfold 22 nOV 1865 74 years widow of James Charles farm labourer, bronchitis, informant the mark of Jane gentle in attendance Stotfold.

death James Charles 14 Feb 1858 Stotfold 66 years almsman formerly an agricultural labourer, fever certified, informant the mark of Mary Balls present at the death Stotfold.

I assume these are James and Mary nee Males- my Jabez's parents.

Finally
death  Richard Charles 13 Sept 1837 Biggleswade 81 years labourer, old age, informant Thomas Birt master of union workhouse Biggleswade.

Im thinking this could be the  Richard Charleswho is in Bedford gaol aged  78  in 1832  from Stotfold  - possibly James dad? I see James son Jesse seems to have spent time here also.

Anyway- if anyone wants copies of the certs, let me know.

Im off to explore that Herts marriage site now.

carol

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
xxxx formerly xxxxx is the standard wording nationwide for the mother on a child's birth cert.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I see that link that I gave to the Allen Marriage Index has stopped working. Try https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?formid=HALS_INDEXES

James Charles doesn't seem to have been baptised as an infant, although there's an adult christening in Stotfold in 1812 of a James Charles aged 19 which looks like him. Unfortunately no parents are mentioned.  Richard Charles looks to have been a baptist, who didn't do infant baptisms, as there are two births registered in Biggleswade Baptist Church book where the parents are Richard and Elizabeth. There's also a baptism of Frances Charles in 1806 in Stotfold where her parents are named as Richard & Elizabeth, with a birth date of 8 Jan 1789 added for good measure. I think James was probably the son of Richard and Elizabeth but proving it is another matter altogether

David

Offline carolgriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That Allen marriage index is great- think I wore the link out!

I too think Richard Charles and Elizabeth were baptist, Im thinking all the charles baptisms on IGI at that time may have been their kids
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

It look like when some of the kids gt older they were baptised elsewher eg francis and my James, maybe when they were to marry? I realise proving it is probably impossible so this is definately my maybe family - fun to look at all the same.

Looking at Richard Charles and Elizabeth - Im betting shes Eizabeth Lincoln - an older woman in his life -as i was kindly given some info from overseerers reports- maybe from David? that states amongst other enries-mon 27 sept 1813 Richard Charles wanted relief, his wife was 78- or could just be an error.
Which elizabeth lincoln is she i wonder?

A big thanks once again to this helpful forum.

carol