Author Topic: David ROWLAND trumpeter of Bala  (Read 8000 times)

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David ROWLAND trumpeter of Bala
« on: Thursday 04 December 08 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for records concerning offspring of David ROWLAND, trumpeter of Bala.

I've got bits and pieces of history re this chap but am currently interested in his offspring one of whom is reputed to be the Rev David ROWLAND of Llidiardau.

David (senior) married someone named Jane and they had this son David baptised in 1795, I believe.

Jane apparently died and in 1801 David married Anne EVANS daughter of William EVANS a prominent Methodist exhorter. She was widow of Ellis WILLIAM.

David (senior) and Anne are still around at Bala for the 1841 census and with them is a son William aged 35 also a trumpeter.

I'm interested in baptisms for any offspring of either of David's wives. This would be in the time period 1790 to 1810 probably at Llanycil although they might be using Chapels or nearby parishes I suppose.

If anyone could help out with a lookup, I'd be very grateful.

Best wishes, Irene

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David ROWLAND trumpeter of Bala
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 December 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

I don't have any chapel records but I do have access to the parish records of Llanycil and the other Penllyn parishes . I'll check them through and get back to you  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

From Llanycil baptisms

17 June 1795 David s/o David Rowland (trumpeter) and Jane
9 August 1800 Robert s/o David Rowland (trumpeter) and Jane

There are two other David Rowland having children at that time - one married to Elizabeth and one married to Margaret

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget:
Thanks very much for these. I'm sure that David and Robert belong to "my" David ROWLAND. Although he must have made a swift remarriage. I wonder if Jane died in childbirth and if Robert survived. The story goes that David jr was raised by his maternal grandmother but there's no mention of Robert.

David's 2nd wife was named Anne EVANS and I'm fairly sure that there must have been at least the one son William who shows up on the 1841 census.

Perhaps they spent time in a nearby parish or perhaps they had any later children "done" at Chapel.

Regards and thanks, Irene

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, irene

As it does specify 'trumpeter' after the baptism entry, I'm sure they're yours  :)

It would be quite likely that if the 2nd wife was the daughter of a Methodist, then the children would be baptised into  that congregation.

I'll check for a burial of Jane. However, the records at that time are a mixture of patronymic, semi-patronymic and surnames so it might be tomorrow before i put anything up.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

This is a bit tricky still.

I see that on his marriage to Anne Evans on 16 Feb 1801, David was termed David Rowlands (the surname form - compared with the baptism entries which were in the semi-patronymic form)  and he was a widower of Llanuwchllyn. They married by licence, so the full details will be in the marriage bonds at the National Libray.

I'll check for more info in Llanuwchllyn and, after 1801 in Llanfor. It will take a while though.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I've now found the marriage of David Rowland (semi-patronymic form) and Jane Roberts on 13th October 1792 at Llanycil. They were both 'of this parish' and the marriage was by licence - again this can be obtained from the National Library at Aberystwyth.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Because of the variations between naming forms used, there are three possibles for the burial of Jane in Llanycil:

24 September 1800
30 March 1800

both as Jane Roberts (surname) - which seems strange that she would have moved to her father's surname rather than using her husband's name

and

18th June 1799 as Jane Rowland (semi-patronymic). However, if this was used, it's unlikely that it is your Jane as she would be Jane Robert (women keeping their birth name in this system)  and the child Robert woud have been over the age of one when he was baptised (unusual).

Gadget

Offline imarlb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 08 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget:
Thanks very much for the lookups. It may be impossible to determine which of the burials applies to Jane although the 2 in 1800 seem (as you say) the more likely.

I did have the marriage of this David ROWLAND and Jane in 1792 but he's a joiner. Could trumpeting have been a ceremonial thing and that he would have to have 2 jobs to get by. I know that he was paid for the trumpeting from Quarter Sessions Accounts but I have no feel for whether it constituted a living or not.

I also have the marriage bond and allegation for his marriage to Anne Evans. The allegation is damaged however with his parish of origin (probably Bala actually) being in a large hole. The bond is similarly damaged with the hole being on the other side obscuring something but probably just the county. He was of Bala in the bond. The allegation gives his occupation as yeoman which does make me doubt the joiner's marriage.

Here is the link for the DWB entry on David ROWLAND jr.
http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-ROWL-DAV-1795.html?query=David+Rowland&field=name

It states that David jr was raised by his grandmother at Cwmtylo which would perhaps imply that his mother would have married in that parish - would it be in Llanuwchllyn?

Anyway, thanks for all your help. It's an interesting family.

Best wishes, Irene