Author Topic: Offer: Will take photos of NYC buildings/headstones/landmarks for your research  (Read 3790 times)

Online crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Also have access to the 1939-40 NYC Tax photo collection.  Any buildings that aren't there now very well may have been in 1940.
If you have any ancestors addresses from directories, censuses in NYC,  feel free to ask for help.
Maclean-variants; Cavan-Westmeath

Offline welshlassy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will take photos of NYC buildings/headstones/landmarks for your research
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
thank you for your offer, my address is 416 bergen st brooklyn new york where my gt gt grandfather lived his name Robert McCreadie , he lived with Isobel McCreadie until his death inn 1968 and hers in 1985, also his place of work in at a bar and grill place at 485 dean st brooklyn new york i believe its now called freddy bar
i would be most grateful, i thank you in advance of a reply

Online crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 09 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I can see through google maps that the buildings are still there.  I'm also familiar with the neighborhood, as my great-grandmother was born at 101 Dean in 1900 :)  I'll take a picture for you next time I'm in the area.  416 Bergen is a 3-story brownstone, and 485 Dean is a corner brick tenement, and it seems the bar is run out of the 1st floor).  If you go to maps.google.com for the address, when it comes up, you can drag the little orange "man" over to the address and view the entire block (google has been expanding this feature).

Are there any other addresses you've come across in the area that you'd like a photo of?

I actually came across this photo online, looking west on Dean from 6th Ave  485 is the corner building on the right.  And the 2nd photo was titled "Freddy's Bar", showing 485 Dean while construction was being done in the street.

Online crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Dean Street, NW corner at 6th Ave.
485 Dean is a 3-story brick "flat" also known as an "Old-Law tenement" built probably around 1860-70.  Typical of this type of building, each floor would have a front and rear apartment (or rarely 1 apt per floor)
I will definitely get a current picture when I get one of 416 Bergen

Offline welshlassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ever so much , i  really appreciate it , as my Gt gt grandfather lived in Bergen st for a long time from approx 1942 until his death in 1968 and the lady he lived with Isabel McCreadie until her death in 1985, as my name suggests i'm from wALES so its really great to see where he lived and worked
one thing could i ask is there a cemetrey close by , as i'm not sure where they are both buried

once again thanks for your help in building my family tree

Regards
Linda :)

Online crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 09 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Linda, the closest cemetery is Greenwood which is non-denominational, they have a burial search online you can do at
http://www.green-wood.com/index.php/GWC/39/143/detail

If they were catholic, you can try Holy Cross Cemetery in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn:
3620 Tilden Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11203-4032
(718) 284-4520

Their staff will help you if you know their death/burial dates, just tell them you are "trying to locate a family plot".  With the cemetery searching experience I've had, if they pick up that you're a genealogist, they'll just tell you that burial index cards are available for $40 and have to be sent for in the mail, etc. If you get a hit there, I'll go see if there's a marker for you.
The next large catholic cemetery is Calvary in the Long Island City section of Queens.
If both of those dont turn up anything, you can try getting their death certificates from the NY State Dept of Health since the Municipal Archives doesn't have anything on file post-1930.  Let me know if you need any help with phone numbers/addresses.

I checked ancestry.com for Robert McCreadie, found his Naturalization and WWII draft registration, do you have this?
It says born Feb. 24, 1883 in Cardiff, Wales.  Naturalized in 1935 while living at 539 Pacific St., Brooklyn.  Probably came to N.Y. about 1930 as some time passed between filing a naturalization petition, declaration of intent, and actually being naturalized.  They also have a few family trees already on file for him with parents William and Elizabeth.

Offline welshlassy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 09 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

thanks ever so much for taking the time to find out all the information for me, i have been on ancestry and found his naturalisation and wii draft cards so thanks for that
I think it must have thought about his new country america as i noticed on his draft card he was 59

i have mixed feelings about Robert , he left his wife and 3 young children ( the youngest 1 year when he left and they never seen or heard from him again, he went to Bristol England and took up with another woman Mary she took his name and her family belived they were married again usual pattern left two children , one of them a girl he gave the name Margaret the same as his first wife and first daughter .any ill feeling , its just a interesting story with a bit of a bitter taste and sadness

once again thanks so much i certailnly will contact the cemetery Robert wasnt born a catholic

will keep in touch , if you dont mind
Kind Regards Linda  :)

Online crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 09 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Not a problem at all Linda, glad to help.  I've come across some pretty sad stories in my research as well.  We'll probably never know the full stories, but hard times is what pushed alot of men without any money to move their families, to go out and find work, alot of them never returning home, or finding themselves in other circumstances.
My family is mostly Irish catholic and when I found an ancestor who was in a "loyalist" militia that helped put down the 1798 rebellion in Wexford, I felt very ashamed.  But remember we can't judge anyone's circumstances and actions of 200 years ago on standards of today.  Just be proud their story can be told.

Offline PatB71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi have just been looking up my great-great aunts arrival in Ellis Island in 1909 and she was going to live with her aunt at 214 W60 St...is this a building number or just a street number (I live out in the countryside here in Ireland where you only have to list a townland and the mail gets to you!).If you could provide me with a pic of the street/house I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Pat Brennan
Brennans-Boyle
Murphy-Monasterevin
Flood-Monasterevin
Derrigan-Rathangan
Prendergast-Athy