Author Topic: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg  (Read 4699 times)

Offline howesfamilies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Founder of the Howes One-Name Study
    • View Profile
Re: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 October 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian.  I briefly looked at the other members of that generation to see whether any of them had used the Ruby name too, but found none.  That did happen with the famous Jack Ruby's family and another group of Rubys who were Rubinovitz originally.

As you can see from our research (http://ruby.one-name.net/getperson.php?personID=I8982&tree=Ruby): even in his early days, Abraham/Albert was referred to twice using each alternative forename and, if my suspicions are correct, his sister, Rebecca from the early census records married as Florence.  So there was some fluidity in the family in naming!
Regards
Paul
House, Howes, Hows, Howse and Howze, worldwide

Offline howesfamilies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Founder of the Howes One-Name Study
    • View Profile
Re: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 October 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry to pester you with messages on a public board, but just to say that if there are any obvious errors to my research on your family, or corrections you'd like to make, please feel free to point them out to me.  You can find a contact button at the foot of the home page on our website.

Our interest is in the Ruby surname but I felt it important to go back a generation to see the surname's roots and I agree with you that Ruby may well have come from Reuben.  It may also have come from the meaning of Rottstein: red stone.  From Isaac's record you can see the likely reason why he changed his name.
Paul
House, Howes, Hows, Howse and Howze, worldwide