Author Topic: Kilners Glass  (Read 6193 times)

Offline plum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilners Glass
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
 hi there poolwizrd you need to try and get in touch with Jeremy Clarkson from the motoring programme on the tv.  he did a lot of his family tree and they where involved with the kilner company, i think it was a direct relative of his that owned the company and it was shown on tv in the progamme called   Who do you think you are. plum

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
if anyone wants to know the process of bottle makimg hand blowing or machine let me know i worked in a glass works
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
ive just went on youtube it has all the kilner glass clarkson wdytya on just go on youtube and type in kilner glass its all their in about 5 parts.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 April 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have quite a number of bottles in my collection which were made at Kilner Brothers' manufactory in Thornhill Lees, nr Dewsbury, which are marked with the name. There was another glass bottle works almost next door, Adamson's. As far as I remember from my research the Kilners factory was set up in Dewsbury in the 1840's, by a John Kilner from Holmfirth, and three years later in the late 1840's he moved to the more famous site at Thornhill Lees (probably taking the premises of an older established flint glass works there). I MAY be slightly out on my info here as I am working this from memory. The Kilners glassworks is something I have always fancied tackling as a research and print project, if time allowed. It's also worth remembering that about 5 or 6 miles away in Wakefield there was also John Kilner's glassworks.
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline lizzielawton13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate I'm a little late,  but if anyone else is researching these factories thus might be helpful.

https://www.conisbroughheritage.com/kilner-s-glassworks

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that's really useful and there's some great photos there :-)
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline Shammydodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 December 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Anybody wanting to delve deeper into the Kilner Providence Glassworks at Thornhill Lees, particularly with regard to industrial relations, could do much worse than consult the local newspapers (Dewsbury Reporter, Batley Reporter, Huddersfield Chronicle et al) from the period 1874-1880. There were some right goings-on, including a big "scab workers" scandal that saw black-legs bussed in from Sunderland that resulted in pitched battles in the streets. It explains why the 1881 census for Thornhill Lees shows a significant number of inhabitants with origins in the north-east when, ten years previously, there was nary a Mackem to be had.