Author Topic: Millsopp, McConnell - Armagh before 1880's  (Read 15210 times)

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millsopp, McConnell - Armagh before 1880's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

Many thanks for this info........ these are my Milsops.  Isaac and Moses' brother Joseph is connected to my family.

I didnt have the army info on Isaac so many thanks for this.

If I come across anything I think might be of help to you I will definately pass it on to you.

Many thanks for taking the time to forward this info to me.

Warmest Regards and All the best for 2009

Moira

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »

Given his age at date of death it would be reasonable to suggest that this may be the Moses born about 1849 in Balteagh Co. Armagh.

there are two townlands with the name balteagh in armagh, seagoe parish and tynan parish. the balteagh townland in seagoe parish is roughly half way between portadown and lurgan. part of it is now underwater after the balancing lakes were created.the belfast-dublin railway line goes through the townland.

tony

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this info Tony

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I got this info today from the Mitchell Library in Glasgow from their Poor Relief Records.  This Milsop doesnt seem to belong to my connections but thought I would put the info on here just in case it would connect with someone else.

Poor Relief Record 17/600  94600

Application dated 21 October 1907 from Emma Jane Milsop

Emma Jane is 20 and came to Glasgow 3 years last August from Portadown Armagh.  She is living at 8 Merkland St Glasgow and is working as a Dom Servant. 

Her parents were: Robert Milsop a farmer and Emily Redmond and she claims both are dead.

Emma is pregnant and the putative father is a David Little who was an insurance agent with the Prudential and until recently was living at 38 Lemington St Clydebank.  However his whereabouts at present are unknown and it is rumoured he had gone to America.

Emma was admitted to the Poorhouse but only stayed a few days and then left.

Offline moira55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I also found this record........ which I hope might be of help to someone.

Poor Relief Ref: 17/543 71590  dated 10/1/1905

Sarah Millsop age 57

She was the daughter of Rbt Millsop a soldier and Mary Irwin and she was born Cranbell Co Armagh is a widow and a protestant

She was married to Thomas Williamson born Derrycar Co Armagh and there is a reference to him being a Redleader ??  He died 5 years prior.  His parents were Christopher Williamson and Agnes Robertson both deceased.

Sarah and Thomas were married 15/11/1886 in St Silas Epicscopal Church Partick Glasgow and had no children.

She was given 5/- a week assistance and she also had an income of 3/6 from the British Legal Society.

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
To All,

Apologies for not responding to your posts.

Kingskerswell - I prefer to think of it more as adding to the soup rather than muddying the water! Thanks for the info.

Tony - again, it all adds to the mix. The trouble is by the time I find a clear answer I will probably have ripped out all of my hair - and I didn't have much to start with!

Moira - Isn't the Mitchell a great resource. I found details about my Gr-Grandmother (another Sarah Millsopp) on Poor Relief and eventually going to the workhouse in Hamilton in 1887.

I think a "redleader" may have been a person who applied red lead paint to steel and iron to inhibit rust. I may be wrong and will happily stand corrected if someone comes up with another suggestion.

Thanks again
Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Millsopp - Armagh - Lanarkshire,
Carroll - Sligo - Glasgow,
Donnelly - Donegal - Fort William - Glasgow, O'Donnell - Donegal,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:44 GMT (UK) »
My step grandfather worked in the Belfast shipyard and was a red-leader.  Yes, he applied red lead to steel and lived and still worked  to the age of 84.RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline millsopp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there ,

my name is Millsopp and my grand father and granny came from Portadown - My  grand fathers father worked in the mills in Portadown - think he was william james millsopp -

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Welcome to Rootschat. You haven't said what you might be looking for. I can find a couple of marriages in the area in the early 1900s and especially that of a William Millsop to a Sarah Jane McCullough in 1909 in Portadown.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim