Author Topic: Burial lookup  (Read 2943 times)

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial lookup
« on: Sunday 07 December 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
can someone find the burial of the following  man for me please?It probably took place in Eastbourne,East Sussex between 1815 and 1821.His wife Mary had certainly had a child with another man called Edward Hooton by 1821 and set up family with him in the Deepings St James,Deeping St Nicholas or Spalding area of Lincolnshire.

John WISHLADE/WISSLEOD-husband of Mary-1815-1821

Many thanks,
Trisha  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Shadia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burial lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am brand new to this but i have been reading all your posts on mary wishlade. you mentioned she had a daughter called louisa born 1813 eastbourne. i am almost certain that she is the same as married my gt gt gt grandfather francis landon born 1807 from the lincolnshire/bourne area. i am not sure where they married but i think it must have been lincolnshire/northamptonshire area about 1834. Their first child was born c1837 peakirk northamptonshire named Elizabeth Patience Landon, their last Frederick James, i have info on all census, however
I would be grateful for any help on their marriage and/or parents.
Many thanks
Shadia

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Going by the baptisms of their daughters in Eastbourne (Mary 1811 & Louisa 1813) John was military artificer and as such, may have been at Eastbourne Barracks but subject to postings elsewhere in the UK.  On that basis, his death could be recorded somewhere other than Eastbourne
Roy G

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

For Referance from the SMI

John Wishlade married Mary Wood 6th Apr 1807 at Eastbourne

Witness,Jos PIPERT.HART

Also from SMI

Edward Hooton married Mary Wood,11th Nov 1814 at East Dean,East Sussex.
Extra info Edward,Bach.  Mary a Widow.

Kind Regards

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
OK now we know that a daughter's birth and a widow's marriage were both in Eastbourne it makes the probability that John died in Eastbourne more likely.  It also means that the death should have been between the dates of the conception and remarriage.  If the first marriage and last baptism were both in the same church, that should provide a good starting place to also look for the burial. 
Louisa was baptised at St Mary's Eastbourne on 18th July 1813, and the entry gives John a profession and no indication that he is deceased.  So if his death was in Eastbourne it is most likely to be somewhere between mid 1813 and November 1814.  Another alternative is that his service as a military artificer took him abroad and he died fighting Napoleon's armies!  Have you looked for an army record?
Roy G

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have looked through the transcripts on SFHG for Eastbourne St Mary and cannot see a burial I am afraid. I tried a wider search but to no avail.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a book by John Surtees entitled: Barracks. Workhouse. Hospital:  St Mary's Eastbourne 1794-1990, but only a few pages in it refer to the building's time as a barracks, and there is virtually nothing about the personnel.   
Perhaps the Archivist at the Eastbourne Redoubt Military Museum can help you?   
Contact    Redoubt Fortress, Royal Parade, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN22 7AQ
Fax: 01323 438827
Roy G

Offline Linda Burch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
I am the great-great granddaughter of Francis Landon and Louisa Wishlade.  My great-grandfather's name was John Edward Wisled (Wishlade) Landon.  I believe he was born in 1851 in Deeping St. James.  He came to Canada in the early 1870s.  He was later in Michigan with some of the Wishlade/Hooten connection.  By 1877 he was in Oregon where he took out application for citizenship.  By 1885 he was in Burnet County, Texas where he remained the rest of his life.  He died in the early 1930s.  He was a rancher.  In Texas he met and married my great-grandmother who came to Texas from Dundee, Scotland as an adult.  I know he had an older sister, Elizabeth Patience Landon.  She married a Sanderson.  At some point, her son, Harry Sanderson, came to Texas and lived with my great-grandparents.  My great-grandmother's sister, Rachel, was very unhappy living on a Texas ranch after living in a city in Scotland.  Sometime between 1885 and 1892 she went to Clinton, Michigan to live with John Landon's Wishlade relations.