Author Topic: A Story for you  (Read 1047 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
A Story for you
« on: Monday 08 December 08 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Chatters all,

I am always on the lookout for interesting things so let me tell you a little story.  :)

In the year 1816 there lived, in the Parish of Stroud, a weaver of cloth with the appropriate surname of Weaving.  His christian name was John and his wife, who was heavy with child, was named Esther. :)

Some time after Esther had given birth to a boy child and for reasons unfathomable at this distance in time, they journeyed to the parish of Horsley where a Mr Anthony Keck, the Curate who had been or still was the first Curate of the chapel in the then small village of Nailsworth, christened the child Frederic Charles Douglas on the twentyseventh day of October in the year of our Lord 1816.  The christening was added into the parish register a copy of which I have transcribed parts of. :)

Some years later it seems that an LDS member who was searching for a Charles Weaving, found Mr Keck's entry and decided that although the christian name was not the same as the one searched for, it was near enough, so submitted the name Charles, his parents' names and the date of the baptism in accordance with his church's procedures and ordinances.  Eventually the baptismal record of Charles Weaving bap. 27 October 1816 having parents John and Esther was added to the International Genealogical Index as a submitted entry.  ::)

Many years later, I surmise, a hard-up pensioner who knew not of RootsChat was searching for the baptism of Frederic Charles Douglas Weaving and discovered the entry in the IGI.   Being very suspicious of all IGI submitted entries, the pensioner decided to part with ill affordable cash to purchase the Gloucestershire Family History Society's CD of the baptismal index extracted from church records for the years 1813 to 1837 in the hope of finding the answer to the quest.   :)

Great would have been the fury and gnashing of teeth over money wasted when the IGI's fairytale was discovered >:(

Merry Christmas

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: A Story for you P.S.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Chatters all,

Would you believe it :o

Somebody in the LDS seems to be hedging their bets - there's a submitted Douglas  W fairytale bap. on the same day etc.  ???

I wonder why Frederic wasn't included ::)

The plot thickens :)

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE