Author Topic: trigg family  (Read 10836 times)

Offline margaret dennis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: trigg family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Benjamin John Thorley married Ada Hall. Birth 1.10.1871. Staveley. Bapt 6.12.71 Staveley. Married September 9th 1893 Ilkeston. Died 19November 1923. Heart attack. Children Benjamin Cyril
Known as Cyril 20 6 1898- Dec 16 1980, Winnie 26.2.1900- 2.7 1900,Constance May 2.7.1901 -
Ada Gladys 16.3.1903-4.6.1903, Mabel Gertrude 20.7.1905- 26.10.1998, Arthur Lawrence 5.7.1909-
6.1.1966. Celia Gladys 11.9.1912- 11.1.2010 known as Gladys. Dorothy Ada 28.12.1914- 12.2.2000
I knew all these living-family members very well.
I have Francis Thorley 1762 in Ilkeston m Sarah meakin 1787 at trowel/Cossall.
Father Emmanuel Thorley 1720-1789 m Ellen maples b 1722
Any help? Margaret

Offline Robthyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes really useful Margaret. Thank you. I can give you the dates of the people in my previous posts if you don't have them?

I have Francis as b circa 1767, in Cossall, but cannot find where I got that from. So your 1762 in Ilkeston makes a lot of sense. Ilkeston is less than a mile from Cossall but in Derbyshire. Yes Francis and Sarah Meakin married on 7 Aug 1787 in Trowell.

James Frederick was a year younger than Benjamin. He married Hannah Morley in Mansfield on 11 Dec 1898. They had their only son, my grandfather, Ambrose on 1 July 1901. James was a Colliery Surveyor, but died young  in 1912, have not discovered the cause yet. Hannah re-married and my Dad remembered her well. As far as I'm aware, my Grandad didn't have any contact with his uncles and aunties. Ambrose married Maimie Harrison and had one son, my Dad, James Frederick. Ambrose died in 1981 of heart failure.

Its nice to know we have still have branches of the family going strong.

With that new information on Francis, I will see if I can dig anything else up.

regards
Rob

Offline margaret dennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rob, Have you got the will of Francis b 1762?  Died 14.3.1858. Finalised 8th April 1869, 11 years later. Our James and Lydia were both dead by then, Lydia just. The 200 pounds went to Samuel which would be a good start in life. There was always a story in the family that we had a black sheep, George, who went to America and took alot of family money with him. Could it have been this or was it a Hall side????? I don't know.
I was also told we had alot of money in Chancery and that our American family were making waves to get at it. Could also be a Trigg as there are a lot of Triggs in US. Hence Trigg County. I personally don't think as a family we had THAT much money, but Ada Hall had to sell 2 houses after Benjamin junior died to support the family I was told so who knows. All gossip. Margaret 

Offline Robthyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret no I hadn't seen the will.
Certainly heard no stories, but as Ambrose my grandad was somewhat distant from his family I'm not surprised. James dies when Ambrose was 9 and Hannah re-married so I guess they lost contact with the Thorley's... There was talk that James and Hannah had some houses and Ambrose rejected a gift of one of those houses from Hannah due to a falling out. Where the houses came from is anyones guess...
Any idea where Francis was buried in 1858? not in Cossall have looked there, but I do pass through the area frequently so could look for his grave..

Did the money go to our Samuel? Francis and Sarah had several children, James we know about, Sarah b 1809, Joseph b 1806, John b 1793, Samuel b 1796, Francis b 1790, William b 1801 and Hannah b 1788

Offline margaret dennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has the will on line. Lots of children all had a share. Hannah the eldest and single seemed to be the executor as we know it today. Address of Francis on will is Shortwood, Trowel. In other facts it has come up as trowel/cossall. Trowel is in Notts but don't think it is that one. Yes the money went down to our Samuel as both James and Lydia had died by the time the will was finalised so James obviously couldn't benefit. The siblings of Francis all got the same I think.  We must have been quite wealthy in the late 1700s. Wonder what Francis did for a living? Love to have been a fly on the wall then. I don't know about your family but the we have red hair scattered through the 3 generations. Benjamin Thorley had it too. Think it must have come from the Triggs. May support the Irish link. Although still not convinced on that as Trigg is not an Irish name. I hope we can get further with him. Will keep trying, will try the Clonmel family history again. As you say things are coming on line all the time. Will also try and find Joseph Goodlad again. I know I found his birth somewhere which I think could be a correct one as he had his age at death. Margaret

Offline margaret dennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert, been rereading your posts and realise you weren't past Sarah Meakin. Father John 1725. Married Ann Kneeton 3.11.1746 at Greasley. Ann born 1724 Bapt 19 Jan 1725 aged1 Greasley.
Parents Henry Kneeton b1692 Greasley married Mary b1696 at Greasley. Feather of Henry a Joseph Kneeton b 1666 married Mary born 1670. Hope you understand all this, by the way the Nottm archives on canal St just over the canal bridge is fantastic for research. Wish I could get there but no more funerals and houses to clear out. Margaret

Offline Robthyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 November 16 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

thanks for that, it did all make sense. No I hadn't got past Sarah Meakin, I havent done any research at any archives yet, was leaving that till later. I have visited a number of parishes, churchyards etc. There are some great sources of information online, no doubt not exhausted all those yet. Found the IGI batches probably most useful, plus the local parish sites.

Francis must have been wealthy as you say. Cossall was (and still is to a large degree) a very small village close to Trowell and Ilkeston. Of course less than a mile from Greasley and Kimberley.

My brother and I have red hair! always assumed that was my Mothers side...

I think Trowell is that one, it is so close to Cossall. I have not yet been to Trowell churchyard, I will make that a priority. There is a shortwood farm between Trowell and Cossall....

thanks
Rob

Offline margaret dennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 November 16 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob. I think I just made a boo boo. If you have received an unfinished reply my apologies. I mentioned that I was reading book of clonmel in the 1815s and times were very bad. Thomas could have been in the army but doubt it. He seems to be an established brush and bellows maker in Irish Town, they seem to be indiginous there they say. Funny about the red hair. All my aunts and uncles had it and now my daughter. Even my sons have red tinges, in the sun. I didn't give you Connies death  if you wanted it Sept 1963, She had one son Gerald who seems to have disappeared. No one has heard of him. I do have a photograph of Samuel, Sarah and my g parents Benjamin and Ada. Will search it out if you are interested. That is if I can work out how to send it. Look forward to the results from Trowel Margaret

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 November 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Dont know if it helps with your search but the name Gerald is often also known as Garrett
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_(name)