Author Topic: Big Willy Ennis of Kircubbin  (Read 9830 times)

Offline Jelfring

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Joan wrote me Mary's death on the 21st.  I'm very sad to hear this.  We were last together at my mother's memorial service.  Clara was planning to visit her this summer, but I haven't heard a report of her trip yet.

I have this picture in my Ancestry.com family tree.  I'm sure I have others as I just inherited my mother's old photo albums.  I'll look for others.

Offline Irisholdsoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Big Willy Ennis of Kircubbin
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
I sent you a PM.

About the Muir farm.  John Ennis settled at the west end of what is now known as Ennis Lake.  It is now part of the John Muir - Ennis Lake County Park.  There is quite a lot of information about the lake [actually a smallish pond] and some nice pictures on the web.  The actual spot where the Muir cabin had stood wound up with Howard McGuinn and I think it was the McGuinns and the descendants of Sam Ennis who sold the land to the county to establish the park.  I think this caused some friction with some of Hugh's descendants.

My grandfather's comment on the Muirs was, "a bunch of shiftless Scots who ruined the land and then moved on."

Offline Irisholdsoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
I have pictures of my Great grandfather s and Great Grandmother s Farm The Ennis farm and a few old photos of the Ennis s back in the day

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 April 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Kircubbin is in the civil parish of inishargy see Ros davies Co Down website
with 11 townlands see townlandsin https://www.townlands.ie/down/inishargy/
Baile Oibicín (see Ballyobegan (Baile Oibicín) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Baile Rodanaí (see Roddans (Baile Rodanaí) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Baile Uí Gharbhagain (see Ballygarvan (Baile Uí Gharbhagain) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Baile Uí Uiginn (see Balliggan (Baile Uí Uiginn) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Balliggan (Baile Uí Uiginn) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 318 A, 1 R, 35 P
Ballygarvan (Baile Uí Gharbhagain) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 561 A, 2 R, 39 P
Ballylimp, Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 364 A, 2 R, 9 P
Ballyobegan (Baile Oibicín) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 577 A, 0 R, 10 P
Ceathrú an Iascaire (see Fish Quarter (Ceathrú an Iascaire) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Ceathrú na gCailleach (see Nunsquarter (Ceathrú na gCailleach) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Cill Ghobáin (see Kircubbin (Cill Ghobáin) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Echlinville, Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 482 A, 3 R, 2 P
Fish Quarter (Ceathrú an Iascaire) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 271 A, 3 R, 12 P
Inis Mhic Cairrge (see Inishargy (Inis Mhic Cairrge) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)
Inishargy (Inis Mhic Cairrge) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 1029 A, 2 R, 31 P
Kircubbin (Cill Ghobáin) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 573 A, 0 R, 17 P
Nunsquarter (Ceathrú na gCailleach) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 182 A, 2 R, 37 P
Roddans (Baile Rodanaí) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 402 A, 2 R, 29 P
Rowreagh (An Rubha Riabhach) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down 648 A, 1 R, 18 P
An Rubha Riabhach (see Rowreagh (An Rubha Riabhach) , Inishargy Civil Parish, Barony of Upper Ards, Co. Down)

the earliest ards peninsuls record is not in Inishargie but just south in Ardkeen civil parish
tried https://www.ancestryireland.com/family-records/death-burial-records-county-antrim-down/?search1=&search2=ennis&condition=begins&submit=Search death
Ennis   Robert   1762   Ardkeen CI   Down ancestryireland is the website of the Ulster Historical Foundation note ancestryireland is the website of the Ulster Historical Foundation who site includes offers of research etc

www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/ardkeen-parish.php has Ennis no innes/innis
Ennis, Henry Townland : Ardkeen Year: 1834
Ennis, Henry Townland : Ballygealeagh Year: 1834
Ennis, Henry Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, James Townland : Ballycranmore Year: 1834
Ennis, James Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, John Townland : Ballycranmore Year: 1834
Ennis, John Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, Thomas Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, Thomas, Jr. Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, Thomas, Sr. Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
Ennis, William Townland : Ballycranmore Year: 1834
Ennis, William Townland : Kirkistown Year: 1834
this demonstrates the family name focus in the Ards P’.

tried http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/inishargy-parish.php
no ennis or innis etc foundin 1834

ros davies has over 35 entries for Ennis in Co down see http://www.rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/E/EnEy.htm

ros davies has over 70 entries for Innes/Innis in Co down see http://www.rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/I/I.htm

griffiths valuation has an entry in askaboutireland website for 1863 with a Jihn Ennis living in kircubbin townland with map ref 75 83 renting from Anne Johnston, Ho off yardand small garden valued at £7 pa which is well above the average of £1-£2 pa  the ref 83 isnt shown on the map but the boundaries of each village premise is running both sides of main st kircubbin

that’s as far as I can manage over to others good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide