Author Topic: Richard Bithell  (Read 26133 times)

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard Bithell
« on: Monday 07 February 05 04:13 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my roots back to Richard Bithell, born about 1786, in Monkard, near Harwarden, Flintshire, Wales. His wife's name is Mary Welbank. His son's name is Thomas. Thomas was born 22 Jan 1812, in the same town as his father. Thomas was captain of a whaleing ship. If anyone has any information about Richards parents I would appreciate hearing about it.     Thank you,   Linda

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bithell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 05 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda,
Had a look in the Hawarden Parish registers for Richard and Thomas. Are you sure they lived in Monkard or could it be Mancot?
I found Thomas's Baptism, 28 Feb 1812, son of Richard Bithell & Mary (CARN) of Mancot. Born 22 Jan 1812.
Also, Baptism 25 Sep 1796, Richard Bithell son of Richard & Mary (CARNE) Saltney.
20 Oct 1805, Edward Bithell son of Richard & Mary (Carn) Mancot.
Burial, 8 May 1810, Edward Bithell son of Richard & Mary (CARNE) Mancot, Age 4 Years.
Marriage 14 Dec 1790. Richard Bithell & Mary Carne Both of this Parish (Hawarden) Witnesses, Samuel Coppack & W Deakin.
Are you sure the Richard you have born about 1786, is not Thomas's Brother born 1796 and Richard & Mary Carne their Parents.                                                          I could not see a Mary Welbank.
I hope this hasn't confused you.

Paul.

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,
 Thank you so much for your reply. I think Mancot could be the town. I have never been able to find Monkard on any maps. I found Thomas as the son of Richard Bithell and Mary Carne on Onegreatfamily. Familysearch.org has Richard Bithell and Mary Carne with four children, Edward being the youngest. Thomas is not listed. Is there a death date for Mary Carne? My family records say Richard Bithell Married Mary Welbank about 1811. That might have been just a guess.

Linda

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,
 Thank you so much for your reply. I think Mancot could be the town. I have never been able to find Monkard on any maps. I found Thomas as the son of Richard Bithell and Mary Carne on Onegreatfamily. Familysearch.org has Richard Bithell and Mary Carne with four children, Edward being the youngest. Thomas is not listed. Is there a death date for Mary Carne? My family records say Richard Bithell Married Mary Welbank about 1811. That might have been just a guess.

Linda

Hi Linda,
 Burials.
8 May 1810. Edward. S/o Richard & Mary Bithell. Mancot. Age 4 Years.
8 August 1818. Mary Bithell W/o Richard. Fisherman. Shotton Age 52.
Thats all the info it gives you on Burials.
Shotton is about  2 Miles from Mancot.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 05 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,  Thank you so much, you have been a great help. Maybe Mary Welbank was a step mother who raised Thomas after he was six years old. My Dad said my grandfather told him a story about a Robert Bithell, but we don't know what relation he is to us.

Linda

Offline fbsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda and Paul

I am looking for a Richard Bithell born about 1800 (my ggg grandfather), so the son of Mary Carne born at Saltney 1796 is of great potential interest.

My man was the father of William Bithell, born about 1820.  I have William's marriage certificate from 1840 where he is noted as "of full age".  His wife, Ann Worrall, is 18.  They were married in St Oswald's parish church, Chester.  William's father is shown as Richard Bithell, Flatman. 

I have so far been unable to find a birth record for William, but maybe the Hawarden records would be helpful.  Is it possible for you to look, Paul?

Many thanks

Frank
Bithell

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 05 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,

On familysearch.org it says Richard Bithell, born in 1796 married Mary Jones

on 22 May 1820.  No children are listed. That is all I have found so far.

Linda

Offline fbsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 December 05 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply.  I found the baptism for William Bithell on 7 Oct 1821 at St. Olave's Chester.  Son of Richard (fisherman) and Mary, living in Handbridge, Chester.

The only Richard/Mary combinations I can find with appropriate dates are those mentioned in this thread.  If the Mary buried in 1818 (as found by Paul) is in fact Mary Carne, the mother of my William could be Mary Jones who married Richard (born 1796) on 22 May 1820 in Hawarden. 

Do you have any thoughts on what the next move should be?

Frank ???
Bithell

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 06 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,
    I found a web site on the Pedigree Resource File in familysearch.org. It is John P. Mchugh's web page. Your William is under his surname list. This is his email address:   mchugh@john-dawn.freeserve.co.uk   
He lives in North Wales, so maybe he could help you.

Good Luck,
Linda