Author Topic: Overton Parish Births - JONES  (Read 5983 times)

Offline MajorD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Overton Parish Births - JONES
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for the birth records for Emily JONES (abt 1881) and James JONES (abt 1887).

On the 1891 census they show as living in Overton with their widowed Grandmother Mary Jones and her unmarried daughter Mary Jane.  It seems likely that they are the latter's illegitimate children but there may be other explanations eg Orphaned from another branch of the family.

The reason for my interest is complicated;
Mary Jane Jones married a Harold Tudor Jones in 1894 when she was 40yrs old.  The story is that they later fostered a boy born in 1900 who they had baptised as Harold Tudor Jones in 1910/11.  My researches have brought me into correspondence with the son of the younger Harold Tudor who has no further knowledge of his father's origins.
We have speculated that, if Mary Jane had already had children out of wedlock, then maybe he was in fact her son from another relationship.  It seems unlikely as there is no evidence of children in the 1901 census but perhaps worth a try.

Although it's a bit of a side-step from my family tree - Mary Jane is my 2x great aunt - I'd like to help if I can because the correspondence has yielded some unexpected family photos, but ordering up a bunch of birth certs in the hope that one of them hits is a bit too pricey for me right now.

Thanks

Ian Jones

Jones - Overton, Flintshire
Bartlam - Flintshire
Ann Brown (abt. 1828) - Longnor, Shropshire
Porter - Nottingham
Dayton(Deaton) / Deighton - Bedfordshire
[...and plenty of others]

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Overton Parish Births - JONES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 08 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Ian.How far do you go back with this Jones Family in Overton?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MajorD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:45 GMT (UK) »
So far I go back via Mary's husband Josiah to John Jones b.abt.1796 - I believe a shoe maker in 1841 and subsequently Farmer of Hill Farm at Cloy.

I hope to get to the local records in the not too distant future but as that will involve some travelling I'm currently researching Parish Records closer to home so that I am familiar with the type of materials & can make best use of my time when I do get there.  As I don't know the area it would also give me the opportunity to look around - I've been told it's well worth visiting.

Ian Jones
Wellingborough
Northants
Jones - Overton, Flintshire
Bartlam - Flintshire
Ann Brown (abt. 1828) - Longnor, Shropshire
Porter - Nottingham
Dayton(Deaton) / Deighton - Bedfordshire
[...and plenty of others]

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 December 08 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,and I also got back to Josiah and this John using Census entries last night.I only have access to the Overton Baptisms prior to 1812.I do have a Jones bloodline from Overton myself,and it concerns an Anne Jones born in Overton in c 1745 who was to marry a William Lea.The couple being my Greatx4-Grandparents.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Murtaza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi MajorD,

Ive seen your enquiry about Emily Jones, and I may have some information for you if you have not got it already. You can Private Message me at my email *

Regards
Doreen Jones (Grandmum of Murtaza the internet Wizkid)
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Doreenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding Emily jones born in Overton in 1882 can anyone help

Offline Doreenj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian. How far did you get with your search for Emily. I know it's been a long time but I have only just joined roots chat. Doreen

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 April 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
I've been taking a fresh look at this Jones family last night and this morning.It is far from clear that the Emily and James showing as Grandchildren of Mary in 1891 are siblings.It seems that the James Jones(c 1888) was the son of Mary Jane's sister Emily,who born in 1862 in Worthenbury and who married a James Jones at Overton in 1886.Though he does not appear with his parents in 1891 or 1901 he is with his parents in 1911.

I can be far less certain about Emily but you may be able to answer this Doreen?Is she the Emily who was to marry a Harry Wynn Richards in 1907?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire