Author Topic: Strange names  (Read 3715 times)

Offline MichaelB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strange names
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Just found out yesterday that I might have Romany links, been looking at this board since then and found some interesting stuff to research. One post that stood out was one about unusual names for Romany/ Traveller people. I have a few unusual names in my family history and was wondering if anybody new there meanings and if they are typical Romany / Traveller names. They may not be unusual names, but I have and no one else I have spoken too has heard of them before. The names are Melvenden and Melvina and are both girls names.

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers Michael
Newell,Storey,Hollinshead,Noel

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Strange names
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I googled both these names, nothing for Melvenden but Melvina was a fairly popular forename in US about 1900 (number 600 out of 1000 most popular names). 
Were your ancestors American?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline MichaelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 08 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I googled both these names, nothing for Melvenden but Melvina was a fairly popular forename in US about 1900 (number 600 out of 1000 most popular names). 
Were your ancestors American?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and looking into that for me, I don't think any of my ancestors came from America but you never know as my family seem to be everywhere. I did a google search on these names also and came up with the same results as you, we don't know where the name Melvenden comes from, it's a very unusual one and I get no results for it wherever I search. Maybe, they made it up.

All that I know is that one of my ancestors was born in the East Indies so maybe it comes from there. I will look into the America side of things as there might be a link somewhere in the family.

Cheers
Michael

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 December 08 16:31 GMT (UK) »
There are 678 records on Free BMD for Melvina, and a few more for variants like Melvena and Melvinia - Melvenden comes up with nothing, so may be mistranscribed!

Melvina is a diminutive form of Melva, which can be:

1.  A female form of Melvin (a place-name)
2.  A Celtic word meaning "chief"
3.  From the Welsh word "melfa", which means "sweet place"

Take your pick!   ;D

Rambler   :)

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MichaelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 08 17:10 GMT (UK) »
There are 678 records on Free BMD for Melvina, and a few more for variants like Melvena and Melvinia - Melvenden comes up with nothing, so may be mistranscribed!

Melvina is a diminutive form of Melva, which can be:

1.  A female form of Melvin (a place-name)
2.  A Celtic word meaning "chief"
3.  From the Welsh word "melfa", which means "sweet place"

Take your pick!   ;D

Rambler   :)

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply and finding out the meaning, I have been researching my family history on that website and gathered lots of information on Melvina apart from the meaning and origins of her name. I think I would plump for: 3.  From the Welsh word "melfa", which means "sweet place" as her surname is Newell which I think originates in Wales. As for Melvenden, I think you must be right that it was mistranscribed, it could be anything really. Anyway, I'll keep on hunting

Cheers Michael :)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
From memory, I am sure there was a Melvina/Melenia Lee - attached to a Welsh Branch of the family. She married Moses Heron/Hearn/Herring.

If this sounds right to you have more on that family.

Offline MichaelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »
From memory, I am sure there was a Melvina/Melenia Lee - attached to a Welsh Branch of the family. She married Moses Heron/Hearn/Herring.

If this sounds right to you have more on that family.

Hi there,
That sounds very interesting, I seem to recollect the name Moses from somewhere, can't remember where from as I have no records or info on him, but he sounds familiar for some reason. Any help would be appriciated

Thanks for replying
Michael

Offline LJB46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently discovered that I have a Romany heritage and Melvinia and Moses Heron were my Great Grandparent. If you have any further information this would be great,

Thanks

Lisa   

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Gaelic name Malvina (smooth brow) believed to be created by poet James MacPherson the author of "Ossian!"

Skoosh.