Author Topic: Arthur DAY - Piano Maker  (Read 24571 times)

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur DAY - Piano Maker
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 February 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
It's good to hear there are still a few around.  Thanks for letting me know.
Day - Bedfordshire
Messham / Mesham - Flintshire
Davies - Flintshire, Denbighshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline Eldest son

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 July 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Sadly I have to add to the information already contained here that both Brian Eric Day and Gregory Day, sons of Eric Day, have both passed away. Hilary remains the only surviving offspring of Eric Day.
There are quite a few grandchildren (I am the eldest remaining) and more great grand children.

My Father, Brian, was very pleased to learn of this website and information contained therein.

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear the sad news.  Many thanks for updating me.
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline defourneau

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 November 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
From France I am, also have one piano Arthur day ..
.Was wondering from where was my piano ..

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 November 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
So now you can see from these posts that your piano was made in Luton, England, by my great uncle's company!  Glad to have helped you out.  Incidentally, Arthur's brother, Francis Day, was a music teacher, so music was - and still is - an important part of my family.
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline lawrenceweetman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
I know this thread is quite old, but I'm assuming that some of the family members who have commented here might receive notifications of this message, and this is the first Google result for "Arthur Day Luton" so it seems like an appropriate place to share this information.

I've just bought a Steck Pianola. It seems pretty certain that it's early 1920s, due to its serial number and other features. It's likely 1921/1922.

Although not made by Arthur Day, it has a plate on that says "Arthur Day Pianos Gramophones & Music. 43, 45 George St, Luton"

This isn't an address that I've seen in this thread, so it may be new information for people. I'm assuming this was their address when the piano was new in or around 1921, but it could also feasibly be from a later resale second hand.

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 November 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Just picked up your post from last May.  What I can now say is that before the First World War, Arthur's music business was in Chapel Street, Luton.  After the war, his business grew rapidly and he moved into 41 George Street, which he initially shared with a dentist (Bertram Pannell), and subsequently Fleming Reid & Company, a wool repository.  Between 1920 and 1922 he put in plans for shop alterations for 41, 43 and 45 George Street, as he now owned all three properties.  From a survey done of the shop in 1928, it sounded huge, and even included a room for "public worship"!  As well as pianos, including those from other manufacturers, he also sold other instruments and gramophones.  From around 1930, when his sons, Haydn and Eric - both talented musicians in their own right - helped in the running of the business, Arthur also began to sell radios.  All of these buildings were demolished for some reason in September 1937, after which Arthur moved his business to 15-17 Upper George Street where it remained until its closure around 1953.

Hope this is interesting for you!
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool