Author Topic: Baptised in two different parishes on the same day ?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline haselbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised in two different parishes on the same day ?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 02:16 BST (UK) »
This has been found in many families information. Some explanation's for this happening, in different parishes are:
1. That the family members of the Bride and Groom, did not get on very well, so Baptisms were held in each others Parish, so as the different families were able to be there.
2. That some of the older family members, could not travell to the other church, so another baptism was arranged for them to attend.

As for it happening in two churches in the same parish:
1. Another Baptism was speedly arranged, to placate a disgrundled older family member, who had been promised that they would be a godparent, and this promise had been forgotten.
2. Perhaps the Bride and Groom were actually, of different Religions and so the other Baptism was held in the others faith.
Regards haselbury
Ayling:Sussex, Brighton
Bowley:Sussex, Brighton, Arundel,Burpham
Braddon:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Catford:Sussex,Burpham
Davis:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Dix:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Masters:Kent,Trottiscliffe
Medlar:Norfolk,Hevingham
Morey:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Mudge:Devon,Dawlish
Rendell:Dorset/Beaminster/Somerset/East Chinnock
Sharp:Kent,Bexley,Crayford
Sibley:Kent,Dartford,Deptford, London
Silva:Ceylon
Starling: West Indies,Barbados,Bridgetown
Ward:Sussex,Arundel, Australia

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 09:36 BST (UK) »

2. Perhaps the Bride and Groom were actually, of different Religions and so the other Baptism was held in the others faith.
Regards haselbury

The religion is Christianity.Baptism is a Christian Sacrament.  I think you mean different denominations of Christianity. As I said in my previous post you should not have a second baptism, unless the Parish Priest was deliberately kept in ignorance of the first one, or the first baptism was not lawful.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
I have also just found 2 baptisms on the same day for the same child. This actually happened with a sibling a couple of years later as well.

The dates were 1839 and 1843.
The churches were St Pancras and All Saints Camden Town

I tried to work out why this happened and on further investigation I found that it was the same minister.  ::)

Looks like someone actually mixed up the records and in my case, the result looks like two baptisms on the same day in different churches  ::)

Interestingly, the same thing appears to have happened to every other child baptised on the same day - ie they were Bp's in both churches

Looks like human error to me (for my lot anyway)
(maybe the Vicar had a wee dram or two  ;) )

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haselbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
I did mean Religion's, they are all of different denominations. My Paternal Grandmother was of the Primitive Methodist Religion. My Paternal Grandfather was a Roman Catholic. Both my Maternal Grandparents were Roman Catholics.
I am a twice Baptized Roman Catholic, and my husband is of the High Church of England. Our five children, are all Baptized Catholics, my husband's choice.

My own cousin was a Roman Catholic Priest, and has said their is no rule in the church about ather Baptisms. I have also been told that by Methodist, CoE, and also Baptist, and a few others as well.

Actually I was Baptized twice myself, once at 6 months, and again at 9 months both Baptism's took place at Roman Catholic Churches, in Victoria, Australia. The second Priest was told of the first Baptism, but said that did not matter, if my Parents wanted another it was fine by him.

The second Baptism took place because, my Father promised his only sister, before I was born that she would be my godmother. But he forgot to tell my mother. Who arranged my Baptism and arranged that her mother and step father be godparents. After finding out about the promise, my second Baptism was arranged and my Aunt was my Godmother.
Regards haselbury

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
I did mean Religion's, they are all of different denominations. My Paternal Grandmother was of the Primitive Methodist Religion. My Paternal Grandfather was a Roman Catholic. Both my Maternal Grandparents were Roman Catholics.

Regards haselbury

I think that you are confused.  The Primitive Methodists are a denomination of the Christian Religion.  They are not a different religion.

Nearly all denominations including the Roman Catholics have a rule that children should only be baptised once.  They nearly all have a special service of "conditional" baptism  which can be performed if there is any doubt whether the child was previously (properly) baptised.  However when this is done it is usually specifically mentioned in the register.

The exceptions usually occur in some of the Baptist and other denominations which do not believe in child baptism and will conduct an adult baptism even child baptism has previously been carried out.

The Roman Catholic Church has on occasions had difficulty in recognising a baptism which have not been carried out in a catholic church.  In these terms you need to be aware that the Church of England for example is a catholic church.  As a result they frequently baptised children who had been baptised in dissenting churches, primitive churches and the sects on the borders of christianity.

David 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haselbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
I do not know where you get your information from. But The Methodist Religion is a different denomination to the Catholic Religion, and always has been. The CoE is not a Catholic Church, The Queen and her family are members of this church. They are not Catholics. To marry into their family you have to renounce your Catholic Faith.

Here in Australia, all the Religions are different denominations.
haselbury

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
The word catholic with a small "c" means the whole church and is used to refer to any denomination which is organised so that all the churches regard themselves as being part of a single church, usually with a creed and structure of bishops.  This is distinct from some of the non-conformist churches such as the Congregationalists or Baptists where each church is an entity on its own with its own ruling group within the individual church.  If you look at the edicts of the CofE you will find that it specifically refers to itself as a catholic church.  For example see:

http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/history/

This should not be confused with the Roman Catholic Church which is a particular catholic church with the pope as its head.

A denomination is a named group within the Christian Church as a whole who are distinguished by their slightly different rules as to how a church is governed and their interpretation of the scriptures.

In the UK the all the churches are very keen to emphasise that they all belong to the same single religion: Christianity.  We would never refer to the Roman Catholics and Methodists as being different religions and I am very surprised that you do in Australia as I have not come across this elsewhere in the world.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Like Buddhism ......  8)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/ which lists the nineteen world's major religions, although the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons are Christian based.

Atheism
Baha'i
Buddhism
Candomblé
Christianity
Hinduism
Islam
Jainism
Jehovah's Witnesses
Judaism
Mormon
Paganism