Author Topic: claxon/ Chelmsford  (Read 6626 times)

Offline kentishqueen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: claxon/ Chelmsford
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 March 09 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,
just thought you could add this to your records, my ggggrandmother was Louisa Steel born 1801 Buckingham (don't know where exactly) , she had a son Henry who always went by her husbands name of Steel, Louisa was about 15 years older than her husband Thomas Steel, but recently someone got in contact with me telling me that she was related to Henry George King (this is in fact as far as we know Henry Steel) on Henry Kings/Steel wedding cert his father was listed as John Claxton.
Why do we think that these 2 men are one and the same, in St Peters & St Pauls Church Yard  Grays Parish, there is apparently a monument which states that Henry George King's mother was Louisa Steel. As far as i know Henry was a baker and lived his life in Grays Essex..
I don't live too far from Essex and the next time we are over there i will make a detour and try to find this monument, it will be nice for my own records...
Happy hunting...
This family tree lark is very time consuming isn't it....

Offline Claxon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 March 09 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update :-)
Richard

Offline spleso

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 June 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,
I was researching the Claxton, Stokes, Thaggard connection when I stumbled upon your post.   I feel we may be related as the DNA project that I'm involved with names these three surnames as exact matches.  When I read your post I immediately identified with our story of my 5x great grandfather George Thaggard born in 1760 arriving NC with the British and serving in the American Revolution.  He was not able to return to England due to small pox.  He survived and had numerous children.
I would love to hear form you about this possible connection.  I wish I had known about this sooner.

Susan