Author Topic: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please  (Read 11671 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please
« on: Friday 12 December 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi RootsChatters,

ESRO has a document in which a shop and household at Punnetts town is valued.  The date is 1852 and the occupiers are given surnames only - SANDS & HOLLAND.

Another document has Benjamin SANDS and Henry HOLLANDS as occupiers of the former parish workhouse in Heathfield, 1836.

I'd like to find out more about this pair - are they the same people?.  Could SKS please lookup the 1851 census for them at Punnetts Town?  Sorry, I don't have any ages for them - and it's just a guess that they were together at the shop in 1851.

If the occupiers of the shop aren't Benjamin and Henry, please let me know.  But if they are, may I then also ask for an 1841 lookup for them?

Thanks in advance,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi stovepipe

Despite several looks I can't pin down Benjamin Sands or Henry Hollands in Punnetts Town in the census returns.  I've checked 1841 to 1861. 

I decided to have a look at my book 'The Story of Punnetts Town' and see what clues that would give me.

It mentions '1851, the shop was taken over by Sarah Hollands'.  It is talking about the site which was later taken over by the butcher's shop on the main road.  I know it well, used to go there to buy granddad's sausages. 

'Five years later, she married a farmer called Henry Buckland and, as we have seen, they had moved to the shop next to the Barley Mow by 1871'.

Don't know whether that gives any clues and I will see if I can find Sarah in the census returns.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Right found her on the 1851 census

H0107 1638 418 25
Punnetts Town
Sarah Hollands, head, unmarried, 46, Grocer born Herstmonceux
Mary Hollands, mother, widow, 80 born Warbleton

I wonder then if Henry was her father?

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:32 GMT (UK) »
And just to confirm what the book says

Sarah Holland married Henry Buckland
Sept quarter 1856
Hailsham district
2b 89

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:43 GMT (UK) »
This is turning out to be quite intriguing

The age doesn't add up being 51 when she married.  The census has a black line through her age so the first digit can't actually be read so it is something then 6.

Right looked for the 1841 census and came up with
H0107 1114 11/48 3
Hellingly Union Workhouse which I think may well have been the closest workhouse to Punnetts Town but I'm not sure on that.
Sarah Hollands 25, unreadable occupation
Ellen Hollands, 7
Henry Hollands, 12
all born in county

Kerry

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Kerry, thanks for your input to this thread - it's appreciated.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 09 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stovepipe

I was just searching on A2A for a Hollands of my own in Edenbridge and came across the following.  apologies if you already have it.

FILE - Valuation book - ref.  BUR/2/1/33  - date: Aug 1854 - Sep 1854
         hit[from Scope and Content] p.106 Heathfield, Punnetts Town: grocer's shop (Simmons/Hollands), 1854

So by that year had Sarah changed her partner?

Kerry

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 January 09 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Many thanks.  It's so kind of you to have remembered my query while doing your own research.   :)

I hadn't seen the reference before, and it's helpful in a negative way.

I should have made clear that in the Sands/Hollands partnership at the former workhouse, Heathfield, in 1836, and later at the Punnetts Town shop in 1852, the chap I'm really interested in is SANDS, and the place Heathfield.  Yet I don't know that the SANDS person is the same in both references.

I framed the question around the 1851 Punnetts Town census because the 1852 date for the shop is so close. 

All my interest stems from the fact that a SANDS ancestor of mine had a shop at the Old Workhouse, Heathfield - but much later (i.e in the 1881 census).  There's only a remote chance, but I thought I'd investigate a possible connection between my ancestor and the SANDS half of the partnership.  So I'm looking at Benjamin SANDS around the mid 1830s - but I have no age for him.  I was hoping he could be found at Punnetts Town in 1851 with an age (and be old enough to be identified with the 1836 Benjamin - or if too young or not called Benjamin then shown to be his son or nephew etc).

Regards,
Stovepipe

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 July 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stovepipe

A curious thing happened today!  Whilst researching my Oliver family I discovered that one of the daughters of my Joseph Oliver, Mary born 1771 married a George Hollands.  Guess where she turned up in the 1851 census.

Yep as above, mother of Sarah in Punnetts Town at the shop.

Small world or what  ::) ;D

Kerry