Author Topic: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please  (Read 11706 times)

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 September 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Sorry not to have got back earlier to you but I have been rather busy lately.
I have E Mailed you my history docu on the history of Priors to you. This is my transcript, but the original wordings are on the National Archives site filed under Deeds of Heathfield House Estate amsh/AMS5624
I'll need to check all the enumerators walks in the censuses to see who was living where. I'll restart my Ancestry.com membership again shortly since I do most of my research in the winter months.
My Great Grandmother Mary Sands (nee Upfield) kept a Bakers shop/general store in Church Street in one of the Priors buildings but my Great grandfather was described as a hawker. In fact he was a herbalist and made up many 'hedgerow' pills and potions that he sold around the countryside and as far as London we believe. Sadly, I have found out less about him than I have my great,great great grandfather. There does not seem to be any will and his death is registered at Hailsham in 1913 a year of course before the Great War.
Tantalisingly its the 1921 census that will reveal whether his widow is still living in the same cottage.

All for now. M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 10 December 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi M Ann and anyone else who might be interested in properties in Old Heathfield.

Today after a haircut in Heathfield I nipped along to the bookshop, supposedly for a Christmas present but came out with a present for myself  ;D

A book called Old Heathfield and Cade Street in the 19th Century by 4 authors and published in association with the Old Heathfield and Cade Street Society, published last year and reprinted Feb this year.  As it is printed locally I don't suppose you will get it anywhere but locally but there is a contact email which if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll let you have it.

It has chapters on all properties in the village including Kitwish and Prior Cottages and is very interesting.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline bagpuddycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not so sure about the marriage of John Olliver and Elizabeth Vidlar being that of John Olliver from Warbleton - I have it tentatively as being a John Olliver bapt Ticehurst in 1724.

I haven't had a chance to check the burial registers yet, so can't be sure this John made it to adulthood, but if he did, then this has to be a strong possibility.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bagpuddycat

Well that's a very strong contender if he was actually born in Ticehurst, more likely than one from Warbleton.  Do you have details of his baptism, who were his parents?  I wonder where he fits in to the Ollivers. 

I recently had been trying to find a farm called Ollives farm near Heathfield which is said to have been home to the Heathfield Ollivers some 500 odd years ago but was looking in the wrong place.  I eventually found it and discovered I have been driving past it on my way to work every day for the past 10 years.  It is just outside of Broad Oak on the main road to Hurst Green so between Heathfield and Ticehurst.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline bagpuddycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I made a slight error in my last post in my excitement at finding my own ancestors discussed!  It's actually a John Ollive, no "r", which makes it a little more questionable.  According to the SFHG baptism database, he was baptised 2 Dec 1724, and his parents were John and Sarah Ollive. 

One thing that makes me less sure that this is him is that there would be no link at all between John's siblings' names and those of his children - which would be unusual in my experience.

Anna

Offline Voyager

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 15 October 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Does this help?
Benjamin Carley-Oliver
Married Mary Hollander in Warbleton Sussex in 1827.
He was a shoemaker. Born Warbleton 1801 to Hannah Oliver. Maybe Hannah later married Mr Carley, who may have been his natural father or stepfather. However throughout his life in Herstmonceux he was Benjamin Carley. His photos are on ancestry.
Mary Holland was I think the daughter of George Holland(e) of Herstmonceux.