Author Topic: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please  (Read 11707 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Small world indeed, Kerry.

I have to confess I've put aside this line of research in favour of another that opened up with your brilliant help in finding Richard Sands his baptism in Battle, 1747.  Still, one day I may connect to Benjamin, and maybe to a Hollands or two as well.

Regards,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
I'm only surprised I haven't found any Sands so far!  ;D

This Sarah is actually proving more difficult to pin down than I first thought, despite all the census returns saying she was born in Herstmonceux I cannot find her baptism to fit her in with this family, if indeed she is the right one.  So I have ordered her marriage certificate  ::)

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 July 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there Kerry,
I hope it isn't as wet in Sussex as it is in the Welsh wilds!
I have logged I think every bloomin' Sands in the Hailsham/Ticehurst areas in my backwards and forwards search for my great, great great grandfather Richards baptism which you so kindly found. I therefore have quite some tree 'map' into which I slot my family.
Now this Benjamin with the Hollands connection, the name figures a few times but the only ones that remotely fits the dates is these ones.
 (1) Benjamin Sands son of Benjamin Sands and Ann Thomas born 1775 (I dont have a baptism, this is from he IGI). He marr. a Frances Bones 16/3/1830 at Heathfield. They had just one child it seems James born 1849 at Framfield but i think I can recall that the family remained in the Framfield area as at census 1871.
(2) Benjamin Sands of Wartling son of Benjamin and Sarah Unknown, born 1787 had several children Amy, Richard, Sarah, John, Benjamin, Mary and Jane 1796-1792. Benjamin year 1787 also married a Sarah Unkown and had four children  Benjamin, Edwin, Sarah Jane and Henry. I have scant details on this family and if you have access to the baptismal index and SMI i would be grateful for them.
The other possibilities for finding a Benjamin Sands is from a distant branch of our family is from Mayfield through the descendents of John Sands baseborn son of Anne Sands who later married Thomas Roberts, There was substantial issue from this one person but I would have to delve into my so far unlogged papers. If you can get into Ancestry's oneworld tree I know SherriO has these posted into her tree.
THere are certainly links to Punnet's Town in my family in the later 19th century and into the 20th century. Springfield's Cottage was in occupation by a great Aunt and then my Great Uncle Charles whose last address is given as that cottage in the burial register for All Saints Heathfield. The cottage was rented from a Mr C. Sands who is distantly related to my family. His son  still lives in the Heathfield area and we share grandparentage in the early17th century.
Do you have access to any marriages of Sands and births from the Dallington and Heathfield registers of the years 1680-1750 I am trying to sort out the families of a William Sandes and Mary and William Sands and Mary which span the two villages. Im not sure if they are one and the same family or two different families. I would be so very grateful if you could have a look if you have got anything at your disposal.
I have a marriage here for a Eunice Oliver/Nisa ? Oliver marrying Sands do you have her in your tree. Cant look up as people waiting to use my printer!!!! Will post more if you are interested.
Regards,
M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi M.Ann

I took a look at the marriages on the SMI and there seems only one that fits.

William sands of Heathfield married Mary Monk of Dallington at Dallington on 26 September 1749

No doubt Eunice does fit in somewhere, I haven't found her yet though.  But they all seem to be local to the Warbleton area.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry
Abraham Sands married Eunice Oliver at Heathfield 29/1/1799. She is often referred to as Nisa in the Heathfield registers. Abraham Sands was the son of Benjamin Sands (b. Dallington) and Ann Thomas (b. Rotherfield).
Abrm. and Nisa's children were Sarah 1801, Thomas 1803, Willm. 1809, Eliza 1814, Jeremiah 4/5/1815 bap. and Hannah 11/1/1818 all of Heathfield.
I cant see a baptism for Eunice Oliver with my limited resources but does she relate to your Olivers, perhaps born around 1779?
The William Sands you mention who married Mary Monk I give to John Sands and Mary Vallance of Warbleton, he was baptised about 1731 in Dallington wasnt he?
Again I dont have a date..this couples subsequent children were all bap. in Warbleton.
There is also a contribution on the IGI for a birth at Dallington William or Joseph Sands 1730 son of Joseph Sands and Mrs Mary Sands. Now, a Joseph Sands of Dallington is a direct paternal ancestor of mine. The son of William and Mary Sands. Joseph married Eliz. Hunt 16/4/1744 from Mountfield at Battle.
Joseph is my great, great,great,great grandfather. Since Joseph had a son baptised in Burwash called William in 1755, mother given as Mary I am puzzled by this one unless Joseph was married previous to Elizabeth to a Mary. Also Elizabeth wife of Joseph Sands died in Burwash in 1757 so was alive when William was born.
I'm really confused by all these William and Mary Sands and Joseph's marriages!! :-\ I must get down to ESCRO to see these registers for myself
Hope the Oliver info is useful to you.
Regards M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi M.ann

There are two families if Olivers, one in Heathfield and one in Warbleton, mine are all in Warbleton until Thomas Oliver who married Martha Reed 1725.  His baptism is not to be found in Warbleton and on a more careful check of baptisms at the weekend there is a Thomas baptised in Heathfield 1698 and if I can't find a marriage or death for him in Heathfield he could be my man.

I am currently trying to eliminate him without success that leads me to believe he is my man and he is the connection with the Heathfield Olivers.

They were quite a mobile family, they seem to have first appeared in Sedlescombe in the early 1500s so Heathfield to Warbleton is just a mere hop!

Kerry

Offline Charlston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered Rootchat and read with great interest the thread of messages re Sands/Hollands.  In particular the references to Oliver's!  I have only recently started to search the family tree and our Oliver's hail from Ticehurst area, WARBLETON.  And there is a link to an Emily Sands c 1856.  We visited Warbleton a couple of years ago and by chance were directed to a very helpful local historian whom I contacted and she did some basic research listing the Oliver's linked to my great great grandfather:  George Oliver, Warbleton Census 1841 showed him married to Louisa and living at Sandhole Fm.  Through the years the Oliver's showed addresses at Rabbetts Cotts, Warbleton, Red Pale Road, Warbleton, Culls Cottages, Warbleton.

There is also an Oliver's clock at Turners Green on the side of an Oast House which we are trying to find out more about.  I wonder if we have any links to your research?  Would love to hear from you. 

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlston

I have Olivers from Warbleton in my tree, although I haven't come across George as yet.  I shall have to check again.  My Olivers lived at Bunces, Rushlake Green from what I can see and there do seem to be a lot of them around.  Who were George's parents?

Interesting what you say about the clock at Turner's Green, I know it well but I didn't know it was an Oliver's clock.

Kerry

Offline Charlston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry, thank you for answering so promptly.  I don't have any full details but I do have a list of Warbleton marriages 'OLIVER' family and it appears as though George's parents were a James Oliver and Louise Lade (daughter of Fill (Phil) Lade.  George was actually married twice and had a total of 18 children!

Do you have a name/contact for the Dallington registers by any chance?  We are travelling down to E Sussex early September and I hope to do a bit of research down there, hopefully going to Warbleton/Turners Green again and perhaps finding out where the addresses are in the area (as mentioned in the Census').

I also hope to telephone the historian again this week to ask if she had found out any more about the Oliver's clock.
Thank you once again for responding, 'Charlston'   :)