Author Topic: OLIVERS of Silverton  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OLIVERS of Silverton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »

Hi Percy

Well, I've just spent a while looking for the Robert May who married Harriet Oliver in Bedminster (Bristol) in 1870;  still looking.

in 1871 he says born 1828  -  in Devon.  The image is very difficult to read - it could be Kingsbeare,  it could be Kentisbeare .

Are you saying you think it could be her step-father ?  I must admit that hadn't registered as a possibility - I just thought it was a co-incidence  :-\

Mary
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline sawdust

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
yes her step father in 1851 robert may was married to Sarah  whos husband was robert oliver who passed away robert oliver and sarah had 4 childre robert ,james and harriet and joseph harriet was 12 lived inhayne silverton in 1851 she married her step dad!!
am i right
regrds Percy

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »

Well, I'm not entirely sure that Sarah's first husband was a Robert - I thought it was William   :-\

Nevertheless,  it certainly does look as if what happened was Robert May married Sarah Oliver;  in 1851 they were all living in Silverton.

In 1861 they were all living in Bedminster, Bristol;  Robert and Sarah May, next door to Robert and Elizabeth Oliver and their children. Robert May was a tanner.    Harriet was also in Bedminster, in service.

Sarah May nee  Oliver died aged 60  Q4. 1869 Bristol  Vol. 6a  Pg. 1

In 1871 Robert  May,  aged 43, was married to Harriet (marriage found, as above)  and he says born Kentisbeare  (poor writing) and was a Tanner.    I thought initially he was a relation, about 20 years younger,  but now I think that yes - he had shaved a few years off his age and married his step-daughter :-\

Regards
Mary

Offline sawdust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 December 08 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Morning Mary, Yep you right it was wiliam not Robert.So Robert May married ,Williams daughter his step daughter, and in 1861
What happened to Thomas age 9 1841 and brother name not known but in 1851we had Joseph age 9 who was Williams children?There brother Robert was 20 in 1851 went to Bedminsiter in 1861 wife Elizabeth joseph his son born 1859 dec bristol was my grt grand father  It gets a bit confusing with all the family christian names been the same in generations!!
I agree maybe Harriet had a soft spot for Robert MAy !!Well there was no blood line between the two of them  So he must have had something going for him to marry a young girl!
Could you see if u hve any traces on William Oliver brn 30 Dec 1770?
Thanks again for the info you are a double star.
regrds Percy

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 December 08 14:43 GMT (UK) »

Morning Percy :)

Next one:  THOMAS OLIVER  1832

Thomas was Robert's brother.

He became an Engine Driver on the Great Western Railway

I couldn't find him in 1851, in England or Wales, but by 1861 he was living in Bisley in Gloucestershire, married to Elizabeth from Carmarthen,  and they stayed in Bisley - still there in 1901.

Their children were:
Sarah Oliver b. 1856 Swansea (reg. not found)
William Oliver Q2. 1858 Pembroke
Elizabeth Oliver  Q4. 1860 Swindon
Annie Oliver  Q4. 1862 Bisley
Ralph Oliver  Q2, 1864  Bisley
Dorcas Oliver  Q3. 1869 Bisley
Agnes Oliver  Q2. 1873  Bisley
Kate Oliver  Q3. 1874  Bisley.

I haven't found a marriage I would say "that's them" to,  a faintly possible in Wales in 1852 but - very faint.  Elizabeth died age 54 in 1887  -  Thomas remained in Bisley,  where he died age 74  Q4. 1905.

Both the boys became Steam Engine Fitters.

These are their children's families:

Sarah married  1878 to Frank Gillman.  They had one daughter, Olive Annie Gillman born Q2. 1879.  Sarah died in 1891.

William married  1879 to Jane Elizabeth Batty.
Their children were George Oliver Batty  Q2. 1878 (so registered )  Thomas Oliver  Q3. 1881.  There was also a Lilion Elizabeth Oliver b. Q4. 1882 died Q4. 1883 aged 0, who was possibly theirs  (no other Oliver registrations in that district)

I'll continue this on another post - getting a bit long  ;)

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 December 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Thomas' children - cont...

Elizabeth - there is a marriage recorded in Stroud in 1878 to a George Gibbons, but I can't find them in any census after that.

Ralph :  he was working as an Engine Fitter in 1881; there is a marriage in Stroud 1889  -  but I can't find Ralph in 1891 or 1901 census.

Annie married 1884 to Alfred Burrows, from Essex.  Alfred was a Police Constable in 1891 in Essex;  in 1901 he was a Metropolitan Police Sergeant; they were living in Battersea. 
Their children were Ethel Annie  Q3. 1887;  Alfred Harold  Q3. 1888;  Mabel  Q1. 1897.

Dorcas married 1891 to Frank Tee.   I can't find either of them in 1901 - a Frank Tee died  Q1. 1899 Wandsworth, Surrey.  In 1901 Thomas Oliver has living with him in Bisley a 3 year old grandson Harry Tee born Surrey,  and William and Jane have living with them in Swindon a 4 year old nephew Albert Tee also born Surrey.  I think these are Albert Frank Tee born Q3. 1896 Kingston Surrey and Harry George Tee born Q1. 1898 Kingston Surrey  -  but what happened to their parents ?  I don't know   :(

Agnes married 1895 to Robert Graham Pegler;  Robert was a Saddler and Harness maker.  Their children were  Frank William  Q2. 1896 and Dorothy Olive F  Q1. 1901

Kate married Frank Edwards 1893;  I can't see them in 1901  :-\

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 15 December 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »

Percy  -  I cannot find Joseph born 1841 after the 1851 census.  I have tried in Wales - in case he went there with his brother Thomas - and I have tried looking for Joseph May incase he took his step-father's name -  but I just can't find him at all;  nor does there seem to be a death reg. for him   :(

So - I think that is the best I can do with that section of your query.  Please understand that although I have been as careful as possible, if you want to be 100% certain of anything, you really need to get certificates - although I do appreciate that with a family this size, that might be expensive  :-\

Next :  Robert b. 1831  and his children and their families   ;)

Offline sawdust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 15 December 08 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Evening Mary,
You are a now five stars!! many thanks for the effort and time,it is appreciated and most interesting info, .It is ironical that Joseph my  great grand father came to south africa and joined the south african railways as a plate fitter,his elder son my grandfather was also a steam and electic engine driver, plus his brother s were also on the railways.My grandmothers family Eddles came from Bisley in Gloucestershire and St Mary church in Torquay and they worked in the naval dockyard and also his father and father were stone masons .
If you find anything on William oliver 30 dec 1770 it would help
Once again thank you if you were near by i would have sent you some flowers to show my appreciation, cheers Percy :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 14:20 GMT (UK) »

Hello Percy

Some of what follows you may already have  -  not sure what you already know - so apologies if I repeat what you have  ;)

Robert Oliver b.1832 Silverton.
Married Q3. 1857 Bedminster  Vol. 5c  Pg. 1149.
Elizabeth Shapley on the page.

I found this through the birth reg. of their son Charles .
Charles Shapley Oliver  Q4. 1862  Falmouth.
Falmouth is the registration district for Penryn - which is where he says he was born on most censuses.

1841 census
HO107.  P. 228/1  Fol. 9  Pg. 12

Ipplepen Village, Devon

SHAPLEY
Thomas  50  Ag Lab
Elanor  45
Elizabeth  8
Anna 4

all born in county.

In 1851 an E. Shapley born 1834 is in service in Ipplepen.