Author Topic: Mayzes families living in Battersea  (Read 17325 times)

Offline MickBakunin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mayzes families living in Battersea
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 December 08 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your hard work, and detailed contributions. I do appreciate it.

Looking at my sources I see that I need to purchase a few certificates, and the 1911 census should answer some of the questions posed. Samuel James Mayzes (1844 - 1912) did live a long and shall we say vigorous life. I have been told that a book was written about him, though I do not have a copy. (The Life & Times of Samuel James Mayzes?). Certainly it is possible that he married Amelia Excell in 1901. I admit that I "guessed" that Amelia's spouse was born in 1879, and thereby created confusion.

Now I am going to enter this new information into my Family Tree Maker database software.

Thanks Again,

Mick

Offline MickBakunin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
**LOOKUP COMPLETE** Re: Mayzes families living in Battersea
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 December 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. I hope I'm doing the housekeeping correctly with this post.

Mick

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 December 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Heywood - that Charles is MEYES in 1881, with a wife Elizabeth, but with Lydia in 1891 (same address of Wye Street) as Meyzes - maybe just a coincidence as he is consistant about PoB Battersea in those yeras.

:) Pleasure Mick - but do come back and tell us what the Certs reveal  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 December 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
sorry - I just found Charles and then had to leave so didn't pursue further.

Well it looks as though your conundrum may have been solved Mick and if you get the certificates - please keep us informed.

best wishes to you all
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MickBakunin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I have found some additional information from the forms they completed when they left England and entered Canada.

Samuel James Mayzes (1844 - 1912) married Caroline Sarah Baker (1844- 1901)
He then married Minnie Jane Ball (born 1873) in 1901. After Samuel James died Minnie married Charles White in 1914.

Samuel and Minnie's oldest son was Samuel James Mayzes (1902 - 1981), who married Joanne Moore and produced Samuel James Mayzes (1924 - 1983).

Samuel James Mayzes (1844 -1912) had a brother George Mayzes (1846 -1897). George named one of his sons Samuel James Mayzes. This son lived from 1879 to 1965, married Amelia Excell and produced a son Samuel James Mayzes in 1905.

Thanks again for all the look ups and suggestions.

Michael

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you - glad its resolved  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know - what complications when family names are kept  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline courtneypjames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am part of a very large 'wing' of the Mayzes family tree living in Canada.  I also heard that Samuel James Mayzes had written a book.  We used to have a copy around but no one seems to know where it has gotten to.  Has anyone know anything about it?  We are trying to put together this very large family tree.

Thanks so much!
courtney

Offline Bea M.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 October 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just recently started trying to research my family history.  My last name also is Mayzes.  I did not realize how hard it really is to find out about your family history and how many "road blocks" I seem to run into time after time.  I happened by chance to come across this discussion and I just had to reply to it.  I certainly hope that my reply doesn't further confuse anyone who is also researching the Mayzes family history.  The information I have is as follows:

My father is - Samuel James Mayzes - born April 13, 1934 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

His siblings were Dorothy Amelia Mayzes born about 1935 and died Oct. 9, 1952 at age 17 in a house fire in Traverse City, Michigan. 
John Vincent Mayzes Jr., born about 1937 and died Oct. 9, 1952 at age 15 in a house fire in Traverse City, Michigan. 
Also there was a sister named Alice Rose Mayzes and another brother named Paul William Mayzes.  I don't have any more information on Alice Rose or Paul William.  (Just an added bit of information....my father was also in this house fire but escaped by jumping out of a second story window.  I don't know any more about the fire but sure wish I did).

His mother (my grandmother) - Dorothy Dora Kline - born Feb. 14, 1914 in Ypsilanti, Michigan and Died Sept. 2, 1995 in Gaston, Lexington County, South Carolina and is buried in Gaston, South Carolina at Bethel Independent Bible Church Cemetery. 
His father (my grandfather) - John Vincent Mayzes - born Oct. 2, 1914 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.  Date of death unknown.

His grandmother (my great grandmother) which is Dorothy's mother - Helen Kline (maiden name, date of birth, place of birth and date of death currently unknown by me). 

His grandfather (my great grandfather) which is Dorothy's father - David D. Kline (date of birth, place of birth and date of death currently unknown by me). 

His grandmother (my great grandmother) which is John Vincent's mother - Amelia Exell - born May 8, 1880 in Battersea, London, England and died July 23, 1960 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Buried in Washtenaw County, Forest Hill Cemetery in Michigan.  She immigrated to Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada and then to Michigan in the U.S.

His grandfather (my great grandfather) which is John Vincent's father - Samuel James Mayzes - born Feb. 17, 1879 in Battersea, London, England and died August 2, 1965 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Buried in Washtenaw County, Forest Hill Cemetery in Michigan.  He immigrated to Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada and then to Michigan in the U.S.

His great grandfather (my great great grandfather) which is Amelia's father - Walter Exell - born Nov. 3, 1853 and died Jan. 6, 1919. 

His great grandmother (my great great grandmother) which is Amelia's mother - Alice Amelia Checkley - born Dec. 14, 1852 and died Sept. 23, 1924.  They also had another daugher named Beatrice Exell - born 1896 - London, England. 

His great grandfather (my great great grandfather) which is Samuel James' father - George Mayzes - born 1858 and died 1894. 

His great grandmother (my great great grandmother) which is Samuel James' mother - Lydia Cunningham - born 1858 and died April 5, 1912

My great grandparents - Samuel James and Amelia had the following children:
Florence Amelia Mayzes who married Percival George Robbins in Ontario, Canada.
Alice Mayzes - born 1902 in Battersea, London, England.  She married Frank Sharkey.  They immigrated to Ontario, Canada about 1906 and arrived in Michigan, U.S. in 1925. 
Samuel James Mayzes, Jr. - born 1905, Wandsworth, London, England and died 1929, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Rose Mayzes - born August 16, 1906 in London,  England.  Date of death unknown by me.  She married Walter John Buss.
Frank D. Mayzes - born 1911 and died 1933 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
George Mayzes - born April 2, 1914 and died June 22, 1980.  He married Beulah Betty Hood. 
Charles J. Mayzes - born August 28, 1918 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and died Feb. 23, 1966 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  He married Leona F. Allen.  (He was a Seaman First Class in the U.S. Navy World War II).
Kathleen Mayzes - born Nov. 27, 1907 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and died Oct. 22, 1908 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada at age 11 months (from Ontario Deaths 1869-1947). 
Male Mayzes - born April 26, 1909 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and died May 17, 1909 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada at age 21 days (from Ontario Deaths 1869-1947). 

Again, I hope what I've added to this discussion doesn't confuse anyone but I truely do hope that it will help someone with their search of their family history.  I would love to hear from anyone who might have further information that I might be able to add to what I already have found.  Thank you for letting me take up so much of your time. 

Anxiously Waiting,
Bea