Author Topic: Mayzes families living in Battersea  (Read 17219 times)

Offline courtneypjames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mayzes families living in Battersea
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bea!
This mayzes family trees is sooo confusing.  Samuel james mayzes is the name of my grandfathers dad. My grandpa, William Benjarmin Mayzes was born in 1929.  My Grandpa is out of town right now but he has been collecting information for years. I am going to get together with him when he gets back and try to piece it all together.  I will keep you updated.  You can email me at courtneypjames at yahoo . com.  If you'd like.

C. :)

Offline Bea M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 October 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Courtney, thank you for responding to my verrry long comment.  I'm not sure if we are in the same Mayzes family, it sounds like we might not be.  But, please, let me know what your grandpa has to say.  Even if we aren't in the same family tree it would still be interesting to hear about. 

Bea

Offline James W Mayzes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 January 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi my names is james walter mayzes. My grandfather is samuel james mayzes my fathers name is walter william mayzes(dob 11/03/1912 and passed 04/08/1958). My aunt was alice taylor but we called her aunt lally. I also had an aunt rose and aunt flossy.   They both lived in ann arbor mi. I would love to hear anything about my family tree.

Hi Bea!
This mayzes family trees is sooo confusing.  Samuel james mayzes is the name of my grandfathers dad. My grandpa, William Benjarmin Mayzes was born in 1929.  My Grandpa is out of town right now but he has been collecting information for years. I am going to get together with him when he gets back and try to piece it all together.  I will keep you updated.  You can email me at courtneypjames at yahoo . com.  If you'd like.

C. :)

Offline inforeader

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 March 15 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for family connections. My husband is related to the Mayzes family. His maternal grandmother's uncle was Jim Mayzes who emigrated to Simcoe County, Canada (Barrie and Holstein, Ontario). He and his family eventually moved to Ann Arbor Michigan. Ivy Farrell- whose mother was Eliza Mayzes- was a Home Child who was sent to Canada with the Barnardo Foundation and lived with Jim and his family in Holstein.

Ivy eventually married William Wesley John Sandercock, and lived in Toronto (East York). We bought their house when she died, and we only sold it four years ago (2010). We now live in Stratford, Ontario. Would love to reconnect with family members- we have just inherited photos, including photos of children, one of which we believe is Thomas Mayzes, who survived the sinking of the Titanic.

I can be reached at (*) We hope we will hear from someone here....how wonderful it would be to learn more.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline MickBakunin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
This post is intended to suggest how the various branches of the MAYZES family (mentioned in previous posts) fit together:

Jonas Mayzes (1800-1876)  was born at Barnardiston, Suffolk. Barnardiston is about 20 km SE from Cambridge. Jonas was a clock and watch maker.
On November 22 1835 he married Mehitabel Bareham at Steeple, Essex. Steeple is about 50 km NE from London.
Jonas and Mehitabel had eight children. Their four sons (who sustained the Mayzes name) were:
1.   William Mayzes (1843-1908)
2.   Samuel James Mayzes (1844-1912)
3.   George Mayzes (1846-1897)
4.   Daniel Mayzes (1851-1934)

1. William married Emma Faulkner in 1863 and they had six children. This family lived in Battersea.

2. Samuel James Mayzes (1844-1912) married three times and had two sons with his wife Minnie Jane Bell.
a) Samuel James Mayzes (1902-1981)
b) Benjamin Mayzes (1905-1991)
Many of their descendants live in Western Canada.

3. George married Lydia Cunningham in Dartford in 1867. They had 11 children. Seven sons and four daughters that include:
a) Eliza Mayzes (1872- not known) Eliza married Richard John Farrell in 1892. Their child Ivy Nellie Farrell was born in 1903.

b) Samuel James Mayzes (1879-1965) married Emilia Exell (1880-1960) child:
   Walter William Mayzes (1912-1958) born Barrie Ontario; died MI USA

c) Thomas Jubilee Mayzes (1887 – 1928) survived the Titanic sinking.

4. Daniel married Eliza Ann Colgate in 1872 and they had 10 children. This family lived in Battersea and Dartford.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Offline ArcticGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I was just wondering if anyone was still following this thread. My grandfather was Walter William Mayzes (1912-1958). His parents were Samuel James Mayzes and Amelia Exell (Exell could be a middle or last name). My line comes from a very short marriage 1951-1953. On his death certificate his wife's name is listed as Lareine, I think. It's not very legible.

There was a post on this thread from a James W Mayzes that also claimed Walter William Mayzes as grandfather. I would love to make contact with him if anyone knows him, but would be tickled pink just to learn more about my family.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 October 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

His parents were Samuel James Mayzes and Amelia Exell (Exell could be a middle or last name).

It is Amelias surname  ;)

GRO Marriage index
Marriage Sep qtr 1900   
Amelia Exell   
Samuel James Mayzes       
Wandsworth reg district    1d   1134   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ArcticGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! The document my mom saw was difficult to read.

[/quote]
It is Amelias surname  ;)

GRO Marriage index
Marriage Sep qtr 1900   
Amelia Exell   
Samuel James Mayzes       
Wandsworth reg district    1d   1134
[/quote]

Offline ArcticGypsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I hope you come check this from time to time. You may have a half sister.

Hi my names is james walter mayzes. My grandfather is samuel james mayzes my fathers name is walter william mayzes(dob 11/03/1912 and