Author Topic: Hannah/Nancy/Ann???  (Read 11969 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah/Nancy/Ann???
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 December 08 17:51 GMT (UK) »
my mum is a Hannah but has always been known as Nancy, so much so it always comes as a surprise when people find out her "real" name.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Another variation on Agnes, in our part of the world at least, is Annas. I have quite a few of those cropping up. It makes it easier to uderstand why Agnes, Ann and Hannah can get mixed up.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 08 18:33 GMT (UK) »

I had a feeling this wasn't the first time these names had been queried .. you aren't on your own, Paul was asking too .. !  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,253347.0.html

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
This is all very positive, thanks :)

I knew Nancy and Hannah could be shortened to Ann. But it seemed a bit of a leap to go from Nancy to Hannah, especially when the christening was Nancy, and all other references were to Hannah. But the dates/places all fit.

My Granny was Agnes, but everyone called her Nan, so I knew that was a derivative. Confusing as a child; as Nan and Dod were actually Agnes and George.....

As for Margaret: There is a Peggy, Madge and a Reta in my family.

Thanks everyone, I think I will assume she is christened as Nancy; it was either that or they were sisters as there are no other families in the vicinity.

Thanks!

Tracey

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have family where the marriage states the bride's name was Anne Adams (nee Smith), on the 1841 census she is Nancy. (This is the only marriage we can find that fits). On the baptism details for her children she is down as Ann, except for in the case of the third child out of eight, where she is down as Nancy(same church - same vicar/clerk). Can't find the family at all in 1851.
Anyway, found her death (after two to three years of searching every Ann/Anne, Hannah and Nancy - as Nancy Adams. She is on the burial register at the same church where her husband Thomas is listed - cannot find the grave to confirm they are together, sadly.
So, worked out from the death certificate that she must be Nancy Smith born to Edward and Ann Smith in 1787, Tipton, Staffordshire. Everything like name of her first son, Edward, and the fact that she has a brother John, who was a witness at her wedding, all point to this being the right person. The son, William Dudley Adams, who has Nancy down as mother's name, later has a son called Timothy, who is named after his younger brother.
She reverts to Ann Adams as witness for her daughter Ann's wedding, by the way.
Hope this all makes sense. Headache, isn't it!
Well I am ninety percent certain Nancy Smith is the right mother, but my relative who is also doing the family tree doesn't think she is,[b] or[/b] that the son with the mother Nancy is part of the family - even though he's living with them in 1841, and it says Thomas Adams, iron moulder for father on his marriage certificate. There is no other family that fits the bill on the 1841 census(the enumerator hasn't helped by putting everyone's dates of births out by 5 years, even allowing for a 5 year estimation).
Nancy had a brother, Edward, too, and the informant on his death certificate was a William Adams - probably William Dudley Adams.
Anyway, the purpose of the post is to say that experience shows that our ancestors didn't always seem to use their official names for weddings, funerals, deaths, etc. Or, perhaps the officials/parish clerks weren't too worried what names were put down.
If anyone is willing to venture forth and say if they would feel secure with my feelings about whether Nancy is the right lady (even though Anne on her wedding entry) I'd be very grateful. If you don't feel it's safe for me to go back further with this information, please say - I won't be offended!
Thanks for your time + Happy Christmas to all.
Paulene :)
P.S. Don't worry if it's too complicatd - I fully understand!  ;)
Paulene :)

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 15:13 GMT (UK) »
At this point I shall once more mention my uncle Jack. He was Dad's sister's husband. When he died, my mum, who had known him all her married life, was astonished to learn that his name was actually Horace.

Peggy is a diminutive of Margaret.
      Here is a useful list of variants of Mary, which I got from....... somewhere:

Mary has 102 variant forms: Mair, Mal, Malia, Mallie, Mame, Mamie, Manette, Manon, Manya, Mara, Marabel, Marabelle, Mare, Maree, Marella, Marelle, Maren, Maretta, Marette, Maria, Mariam, Marian, Mariana, Mariann, Marianna, Marianne, Marice, Maridel, Marie, Mariel, Mariela, Mariella, Marielle, Marietta, Mariette, Marilee, Marilin, Marilla, Marilyn, Marin, Marion, Mariquilla, Mariquita, Mariska, Marita, Maritsa, Maritza, Marja, Marjan, Marje, Marla, Marlo, Marya, Maryann, Maryanne, Marybel, Marybell, Marybeth, Maryjo, Marylee, Marylin, Marylou, Marylu, Marysa, Maryse, Marysia, Masha, Maura, Maure, Maureen, Maurene, Maurine, Maurise, Maurita, Maurizia, Mavra, May, Mayme, Maymie, Mayra, Mayria, Meridel, Meriel, Mimi, Minette, Minnie, Minny, Miriam, Mitzi, Moira, Moire, Moll, Mollie, Molly, Morag, Moya, Muire, Murial, Muriel, Murielle, Poll and Polly.
 But then my dad sometimes called my mother 'Polly', and her name was Vera

Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
At this point I shall once more mention my uncle Jack. He was Dad's sister's husband. When he died, my mum, who had known him all her married life, was astonished to learn that his name was actually Horace.

Which leaves me free to mention, once again, my great grandfather who was John Smith, known to all his friends as Matt!! :o :o He is John on both his marriage certificates and the two censuses on which I have been able to find him. My mum knew him as John. But on his first wife's death certificate he is Matthew because the informant - his wife's sister - plainly thought tht was his name. Can someone tell me where is the sense in that?

And you, along with ninety nine percent of my real life friends, all think my name is Jen!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Its maybe in the genes...... I just realised my partner is called Bing.... but that is absolutely nothing like his birth name Marcus... and I call my son Dood, sounds like Dude - long story but its a derivative of Dod/Doddie like his G. Grandpa. Hes also called George.... but hes only 2; so looks like that may cause confusion in later life  ::)

Ooops

Tx

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I occasionally still call my daughter Pip, which is not even remotely the same as her real name but when she was little, she was skinny with long plaits and stripey socks so Pippi Longstocking was an obvious nickname. She, in her thirties now, still responds quite happily to Pip.  :)