Author Topic: Sunderland Shipbuilders  (Read 13084 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sunderland Shipbuilders
« on: Thursday 18 December 08 13:31 GMT (UK) »
In my family history research into the name of Archbell, I have come across a vessel named "Annie Archbell".  From the Lloyds Register I have the following information:

Built in Sunderland in 1860 - shipyard appears to be Peverall.  Owned by Brodie & Co and registered in London.  She was initially built "under special survey" (according to the abbreviations shown against her entry).  She started her career by taking government stores to India, but later transferred to the London-Sydney route, and finall the London-China route.  She was lost in 1867.  Her dimensions were 155 x 32 x 21and weighted 706 tons.  Her Master in all the entries was Morrice, although entries on www.mariners.records.nsw.gov.au list him as either Morrill or Moore.

My enquiries on the website www.readers.sunderlandmaritimeheritage.org.uk have so far drawn no responses, neither have I been able to find any information on Brodie & Co, so thought I might see if I can get anything here!!  Ideally I would like to know if I might be able to obtain a picture, or plans for the vessel, and confirmation that my supposition as to her naming is correct. 

I suspect that she was named for the wife of James Archbell of Wapping who was listed in the 1861 census as being a ship owner, but!!??

Any thoughts or guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Shipbuilders
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 08 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,
The only likely shipbuilder was William Pickersgill at Low Southwick on the north bamk of the River Wear. At that time he was mainly building wooden brigs and snows.
Peter

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
This might be a false lead, but I came across a Scotsman John Brodie from Portsoy Scotland who married a Newcastle girl Rachael Archbold and became a shipowner in the city of London.
Peter

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 December 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter - what timescale are we talking?  James Archbell the shipbuilder was born 1824, died 1871.  His father was also called James and he died 1851, he was a ship chandler.  Believe his father was Thomas and he was termed a mariner.  Don't have any idea where the family came from.  My particular Archbells came from Tadcaster in Yorkshire, but I have absolutely no idea where this lot came from, possibly Scotland as I'm sure that Archbell is a corruption of Archibald.

Any help would be appreciated.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 08 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I picked up John Brodie of Fenchurch st London from a trade directory that I can't now access, but I found him and his family on the 1861 census. While I was at it, I found James Archobell 34 shipowner, in Tower Hamlets, parish of St George in the East and born there, with a wife called Anne born Scotland, two infant girls, a nurse and two servants. Maybe the one who ordered the Annie Archbell? Tadcaster seems a strange place to  find a shipowner.
Yours Peter

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 08 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  That's the same James Archbell - I don't think he has anything to do with Tadcaster (my lot came from there) but the name is the same.  I'd found him on the same census, and was just very, very curious.  One of these days, I'll find out who he was.  Got his father, and possibly his grandfather via various sites.  But John Brodie is good, I'll have a look at him.

Thanks agai

BumbleB   :)
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Suse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Shipbuilders Murtha
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Am researching the family of a friend - his ancestors were the Murtha family who, I believe, worked in the Sunderland shipyards in the second half of the 19thc- is there any source where I might be able to trace where they worked/what ships they may have worked on?
Thanks
Use

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  I have absolutely no idea!  Sorry,  I'm also trying to access Sunderland shipbuilders, but without success for the moment.  Considering that Sunderland was the heart of the shipbuilding industry there appears to be very little information.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Excuse the intervention BumbleB,
There is not much on line except that Google books have Lloyds Register of shipping on line. If you know the name of a ship it gives ownership and building details. If you know the owner it means trolling through about fifty pages to spot them.
British Shipbuilding yards Vol 1 NE Coast by Norman L Middlemass gives details of the Wear yards but is mostly interested in the later iron andsteel shipbuilding.  A lot of builders of small wooden ships went out of business in the mid 19th century.
Hope this helps one or other of you.
Peter