Author Topic: Uttleys, Shackletons and Wolfendens  (Read 24258 times)

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uttleys, Shackletons and Wolfendens
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Madpants, (I can't ever remember addressing a lady in quite that way before :)), thank you for bringing these surnames to the discussion. Most of them do ring bells but at the moment, as far as my own family is concerned, none of the dates match my ancestors.

I shall now check the Heptonstall memorials to see if any of them are mentioned there, although I think I have already included the ones with whom I am able to confirm a line of descent.

BTW I wasn't able to find a John SUNDERLAND, born c. 1824 in Stansfield though I did find one in the 1881 census who was born in Halifax in 1824 and lived in Stansfield in 1881.

Edited to add that I have now found them in the 1891 census along with their daughters, Judith and Ada.
Baguley, Bargh, Boulby, Broadbent, Crabtree, Dearden, Earnshaw, Greenwood, Hanson,  Hardy, Heap, Murgatroyd, Nash, Robinson, Shackleton, Sunderland, Taylor, Uttley, Veevers, Whitaker, Wilkinson, Wolfenden

Offline titten1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
HI,

Do you have any relatives or knowledge of the below Shackletons from Lower Booths/Rochdale area Lancashire?

John Shackleton ( head )  born abt - 1832  Rochdale, Lancs
Ann Shackleton ( wife) born 1831 Facit
Mary Shackleton ( Dau) born abt 1855 Stacksteads
Tom Shackleton ( son ) born abt 1859 Rawtenstall
Edith Shackleton ( dau) born abt 1860 Rawtenstall

Best Regards

Mariel Heald
LEICESTERSHIRE, UK
SHACKLETON, ROSS, HEALD, FIELDEN, HAIGH, OGDEN, LAW, HOLT, JACKSON, NUTTALL, CLEGG, GREENWOOD

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 May 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Shackletons of Haworth are my ancestors.  Emma Shack as we new her was my Grandma Thornton and lived on Sun Street, she married Jonas Thornton, he was b Otley but his father John was from Haworth.

I have more info of the Shackletons of Haworth if you are interested.

Bettalma :)

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 May 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
Mariel,  I'm sorry I dom't have any information on the Shackletons from the Rochdale area though I do have three cousins called Shackleton in Manchester.  There may well be a common link though I haven't discovered it yet.
Baguley, Bargh, Boulby, Broadbent, Crabtree, Dearden, Earnshaw, Greenwood, Hanson,  Hardy, Heap, Murgatroyd, Nash, Robinson, Shackleton, Sunderland, Taylor, Uttley, Veevers, Whitaker, Wilkinson, Wolfenden

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
Bettalma,
Hi we have been in contact before and confirmed the relationship.
I'll send you a PM with my latest email address

Pete Your Baguley's are of interest. My step father's ancestors came to Bradford from Liverpool and Cheshire before that

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline titten1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
Pete,

I have come along way with the Shackletons now from my previous emails, I too have nothing in Manchester yet but I've gone from Rochdale to Ireland now with my tree. Looking at 1600s now.

Best Regards

Mariel Heald
SHACKLETON, ROSS, HEALD, FIELDEN, HAIGH, OGDEN, LAW, HOLT, JACKSON, NUTTALL, CLEGG, GREENWOOD

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 May 10 02:26 BST (UK) »
Pete Your Baguley's are of interest. My step father's ancestors came to Bradford from Liverpool and Cheshire before that
Dave

Hi Dave, Yes I think we have been in contact with one another previously, in August and September 2006.  I think your step sister was in the process of moving house at the time.  You are in my list of people to contact in the event of my discovering anything new about the Baguley family.

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
On the 15th of December, 1873, Thomas SHACKLETON (1842 - 1892) married his neighbour's daughter, Mary Isabella WOLFENDEN, my Great, Great Aunt.

I have now established that Thomas SHACKLETON, mentioned in my quote above, died in 1890 and not 1892.  This would explain why I cannot find him in the 1891 census.

The inscription on the memorial reads:

In Affectionate Remembrance of

JOHN
the son of
THOMAS AND ISABELLA SHACKLETON
of
GOOD GREAVE
BORN JANUARY 29th 1879
DIED FEBRUARY 17th 1879

ALSO OF JAMES THEIR DEARLY BELOVED AND ELDEST SON
BORN OCTOBER 19th 1874
DIED FEBRUARY 14th 1881

ALSO OF ROBERT KAY THEIR SON
BORN APRIL 17th 1880
DIED MARCH 1st 1881

ALSO OF THOMAS SHACKLETON
FATHER OF THE ABOVE CHILDREN
BORN MAY 1st 1842
DIED MAY 16th 1890

ALSO OF RICHARD Wm. FOSTER
THEIR SON
BORN AUGUST 30th 1876
DIED JUNE 11th 1899

Offline assimov21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter and all, I have been reading your discussions with great interest as they are my ancestors. Thomas was my Great Grandfather, and the others Robert Kay etc. were my great uncles. I really enjoyed reading about them and I have been trying for a copy of Faith Finegan's book, as there is info. about the Wolfenden side of the family i believe. Eric Shackleton