Author Topic: Turpin, Tarrant Hinton and beyond  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Bluefish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turpin, Tarrant Hinton and beyond
« on: Sunday 21 December 08 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

New to this site, directed here by a friend. Got a couple of questions bellow and wondered if anyone here may be able to shed some light on them or maybe just point me in the correct direction.

I am looking for any information on a family name “Turpin”. The oldest direct ancestor I can find is Samuel Turpin b 1773 Tarrant Hinton Dorset.

In the 1841 Census Samuel Turpin is living with his wife Elizabeth in Tarrant Hinton Dorset, and working as an Agricultural Labourer. In the Census Turpin has been spelt Turpen but I am confident it is meant to be Turpin, and have confirmed the link beyond any doubt.(Just how the numerator wrote it down) In the census he is aged 65 and Elizabeth is 70

Elisabeth was born abt 1771, Elisabeth (Betty) West in Dorset (I think) and Married Samuel Turpin, 2 April 1798 in Tarrant Hinton Dorset. They had 3 children Jeremiah born 1799, Charlotte born 1802 and Jane born 1807 all of Tarrant Hinton

Samuel is the furthest I can get back to for the Turpin name, I would like to know where they came from before this. I can only find one other Turpin in Tarrant Hinton around this time and that is a Richard Turpin;

1774 Marriage
Richard TURPIN bachelor of this parish & Ann GANDER spinster of this parish married by banns Jan 9. Witnesses: John WATTS Henry CAISH

But I am not, as yet, able to connect this person to my tree.

Where did the Turpins come from? I would be very grateful for any pointers.

Also Samuels wife, Elisabeth (Betty) West. In the 1841 census she is called Elisabeth and at the time of her marriage in Tarrant Hinton she is called Betty.

1798 Marriage
Samuel TURPIN bachelor of this parish & Betty WEST spinster of this parish married by banns Apr 2. Witnesses: Richard PAUL Joseph HISCOCK

If she was born in Tarrant Hinton, which I have nothing to confirm she was,k I have two possible’s;

7 August 1770 Elisabeth West Daughter of Nicholas & Ann, Tarrant Hinton
Or
12 January 1772 Betty West Daughter of John & Hannah, Tarrant Hinton

Again any advice or pointers would be most helpful

Regards
Andy

Turpin, Mantell, Triggle, and Shaddock of  Tarrant Hinton, Dorset. Coward, Stourpaine, Dorset.  Crook, Dyer, Kelsey, and Lemon of Hampshire and Wiltshire many around the Kings Somborne area.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Turpin, Tarrant Hinton and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

Have you had a look at www.opcdorset.com ?  It's the Dorset Online Parish Clerk site and can be searched by place or name.  A wide variety of records available.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bluefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan,

Thanks for your advise, but I have checked this source many times and as yet have not come up with anything new. Of coarse that does not mean that there is no more answers their, some times when you look at things from another angle you see things you had not before.
Turpin, Mantell, Triggle, and Shaddock of  Tarrant Hinton, Dorset. Coward, Stourpaine, Dorset.  Crook, Dyer, Kelsey, and Lemon of Hampshire and Wiltshire many around the Kings Somborne area.

Offline jendor

• Sorry email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Dorset OPC Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hey Andy

How was your curry? :0)

One of the OPc's has got the LDS discs with the Tarrant Hinton overseers records on so we might be able to find some more from there, he's down in bournemouth so will take a few days to get them, as soon as I get them I'll look for your lot and mine in them.

Jen x
Brickwalls... Dean in Brecknock, Freeman in Bedfordshire
Working on my girls tree...
Richer (Essex & suffolk)
Legg, Hunt, Ellis, Wareham (Dorset, Blandford & abouts)
Cannell , Cowley, Christian (Liverpool & Isle of Man)
Sherwood, Jeff/e, Bland, Sharrard (New forest)

Also interested in Paradise/Paradice in Gloucestershire

Trying to figure out the Davis family of Winterborne Abbas and where they originated (before about 1780)

Offline Bluefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

The curry was very nice thanks, even if I do say so myself...LOL, they always turn out a fraction too hot though!!! It means I have to drink lots of beer with every curry..hehehe

Let me know if you should uncover anything new.

What sort of things are on the disc's?

I went to the records office in Dorchester on Friday and unearthed a couple of new things, I was hoping to find some Turpins on the tithe survey but sadly there was none, well there is a Joseph Shaddock who had a cottage and garden from James John Farquharson Esquire, but he is not close enough to follow up really.

Hope to go again in Feb some time if I can swing it with work.

Talk soon
Andy

Offline Bluefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to Jen, I now Know Richard TURPIN & Ann GANDER are the parents of Samuel Turpin, this makes Richard my 5 x great grandfather

Thanks for all your help Jen ;D

So now all I need is to find where Richard is from, of coarse I may never know this, but fingers crossed ???

Offline Bluefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Just popped back in case any one may have any TURPIN info

Would love to discover where Richard TURPIN came from before Tarrant Hinton and Pimperne