Author Topic: Mearns Kirkyard Cemetery, Renfrew  (Read 5886 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Mearns Kirkyard Cemetery, Renfrew
« on: Sunday 21 December 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found this awesome site that needs to be shared with all.

http://www.mearnskirkyardproject.co.uk/index.asp

Enjoy and Good Luck ...and last but not least"A Merry Christmas to All"
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mearns Kirkyard Cemetery, Renfrew
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 13 01:53 BST (UK) »
ajjbc posted a link to the Mearns Kirkyard Project.  The link works, but searching doesn't.  Anyone know if the site is still active?

Geneaglutton

Clarks & Craigs in Mearns

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
Maybe try an email to them? www.mearnskirkyardproject.co.uk/contact.asp

I can't get it to search either. With it being a holiday today, might worth double checking the search option tomorrow.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I've also tried to search this particular site to no avail.  I contacted the church and received a reply, part of which I've copied below.  It appears that there is a definite problem with the site but they are working to rectify it.  Keep trying  :D

Thank you for your email. Yes the project recording information about the gravestones and graveyard at Mearns Kirk was finished several years ago. The church took over hosting of the website from the group which carried out the work but we've had real problems with the internet service provider which is why you're having difficulty. The graveyard web pages can now be accessed via the church website at www.mearnsparishkirk.co.uk however, while the majority of the site is recovered, the pages about individual graves are still in process of being reinstated. We have someone working on this. So apologies for the difficulty you're having.

I was also advised that there is a second cemetery nearby --- There is another old graveyard in this area, not far from the church, called Mearns Cemetery. We have no information about this graveyard which is cared for by East Renfrewshire Council so I suggest that you contact the council at http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1718 or search Google under Mearns Cemetery, Glasgow.

Hope this is of assistance to anyone presently searching for monuments of ancestors here.

Joanne Peterson, Canada
DUNCAN (and associated families of HAXTON, WATSON, WALLACE, BELL, ANDERSON, SPEED and LESSLIE) originated in Fifeshire, Scotland

REID (and associated families of HERON, KEITH, REIDFORD/REDFORD, MORRISON, WEBSTER, PIRIE, OGILVIE, DINGUAL, LAURENCE, GRANT, FRASER, and FORBES) originated in Banffshire, Scotland

CUNNINGHAM (pre 1780) -- John, Richard and Michael originated in Roscommon County, Ireland