Author Topic: IVY ASHWORTH & CLARA KEANE -Emigrants to USA- COMPLETE  (Read 4818 times)

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IVY ASHWORTH & CLARA KEANE -Emigrants to USA
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I am SO grateful for the interest shown in this item.
The info on the 1930 census is not the Clara Keane above.   The Keanes had 3 children, 2 being James & Robert.   Yes, Clara Keane was the Aunt of Ivy Ashworth and, apparently, emigrated to the USA, then came back later for Ivy Ashworth.   I have been just in contact with my relative and the further information will be with me shortly. I have just looked at GOOGLE and put in 177 Homeston Avenue, Waterbury, Connecticut and was asked if I meant 177 Thomaston Avenue, Waterbury, Conn, as there IS such an address there.   So perhaps the files had the wrong address?
More soon ......
Many thanks - Margaretmarion

Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 January 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The 1922 passenger manifest is typed (with bits written in later) so it's possible that there are typing errors.

1930 census- 7 Bristol Place, New Haven, New Haven, Conn.:
Clara Kean 50 wid. b.England to US 1907 warper-cloth mill
son James Kean 23 b.Eng. to US 1907 installer-?
son Frank Kean 17 Conn. shipper or slipper?-cloth mill
son Leigh Kean 14 conn.
boarder Raymond J. Creny 36

Partial transcription (A* has really made a hash of the surname)
1920 census- 1777 Thomaston Ave., Waterbury Ward 6, New Haven, Conn.:
James Kaen 33 b.Eng. to US 1905
wife Clara Kaen 32 b.Eng.
son James Kaen 13 b.Eng.
son George Kuen 11 b.Eng.
son Frank Kuen 7 b.Conn.
son Leigh Kean 4 b.Conn.
father Robert Kean 60
brother William Kean 26 to US 1906
brother Walter Kean 20 to US 1906
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 January 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
3 Apr.1909 "Lucania" from Liverpool, Eng. arrived New YorK:
Mrs. Clara Kean, 22, born Rochdale Eng., weaver, in US before ?/1906 Philadelphia, father _ [Wm or Mr?] Clegg 12 Janna Yard Hope Str Rochdale, to husband James R. Kean Waterville Conn.
with child James Robert Kean age 2.
See www.ellisisland.org for both scanned pages of manifest with full details.

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 January 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I am really SO overwhelmed with the responses that I have received - very many thanks.   More information as follows:
Ivy Ashworth & Clara Kean (note spelling):

Clara Clegg b. 1887 Rochdale, died 1962 in Thomaston, Connecticut, married James Robert Kean (b. 1886) 23 December 1905, Rochdale Registry office.   They had 4 children:  James Robert, b. 1907, George b. not known, Frank, b. 1912, Leigh, b. 1916. (not sure where the 4 children were born, but probably USA).   James Robert (b. 1907) married Agnes;  Frank married Ruth Griffin;  Leigh married Edith.   One of the sons had 3 children:  Donald, Clifford & Karen.   I would very much appreciate more information on Clara’s descendants, please.
Clara and James Robert Kean went to the USA on the ‘Lucinia’ in March 1909? (the date isn’t very clear on the document).   Clara Kean was aunt to Ivy Ashworth.   Clara Clegg was married 3 times (Clegg was her single name).   Her name at time of death was Clara Bristow (her 3rd husband being “Uncle Ted” Bristow).

Ivy Ashworth:  parents, Sarah Jane Clegg (b. 1884, died 1947) and Squire Ashworth (b. 1877, died 1940, Rochdale) married 17 May 1902 Rochdale.   The information given re. Mary Lofthouse is correct as she was Ivy’s aunt and sister to Clara.   Apparently, Clara returned to England and took Ivy back to the USA with her.

I shall have 3 photos to post to RootsChat when they arrive in the post.

Very many thanks, again and sorry for any previous errors – Margaretmarion
 :D
Henley/Hindley (Ldn/Lancs/St. Helena)), Cozens, Griffiths (Welsh border Counties) Horwood, Pardon, Allen, Dyson (Yks),  Barron (Yks), Saunders (Yks/Nfk), Stubbings (Nfk), Silverwood, Hardy, Dakin, Granger, Bonsor (Lnd/Wrks), Tedder, Thirkhill-ell (Yorkshire), Dakin, Barron, Renton (Island of St. Helena, Norfolk), Bonsor (Bethnal Green & Warcks), William Clough (soldier died 1796)., Wrentham (Suffolk)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 January 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Glad that some of the information found was useful but just remember details of living people shouldn't be posted here. It anyone can help with finding descendants of Clara then they can send you a PM (personal message).

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 January 09 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder re. living relatives.
margaretmarion

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I am attaching a photo of Clara Kean (unmarried name Ashworth), her husband Jimmy and 2 of their sons Leigh & Frank.   I do not know when/where this was taken.
Margaretmarion

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I am having problems attaching a photo.   I click on "Attach a photograph or image..." but cannot see any indication how to attach the file.   Help!   :-[ :-[ :-[
Margaretmarion

Offline margaretmarion

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I am attaching a photo of Ivy Ashworth.   I hope the attachment works this time!
margaretmarion