Author Topic: Australia - Possibly 1899  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
Re: Australia - Possibly 1899
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 December 08 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow  what a lovely photo

very Victorian.

Yes possibly Widows cap but then again could have been very cold in Tasmania.  :)

cheers

floozy
i googled about widows caps  a few interesting sites
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 December 08 09:33 GMT (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 December 08 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Sylvia,

I've actually got an advertisement out of an old newspaper my mother has kept, and it was selling fur coats, made of Rabbit, Fox and Cat! I dare not show my animal loving daughter!

I think the photo was taken at the same time, although I'm not sure if she's in exactly the same clothes in the second photo. I 'think' she's wearing two different coloured/textured materials.

Johngirl,

She doesn't look too bad. Our family has been pretty lucky on the health front, and most live at least until their 60's and older.
They lived in Sorrell. Her husband was actually told to stay out of Hobart and Launceston (Tasmanian Archives). We also notice that he had another female visitor when he first began to apply for a Ticket of Leave, but it was rejected numerous times, before he finally was approved, and got married.

floozy,

I've never seen anything similar to it, but sure someone out there will come across another one sooner or later. We're not sure even of her nationality at the moment, although we 'think' England, Ireland, Scotland. The problem is, on different records, we actually have four different names, and considering she didn't marry into our family until she was about 33, we 'think' she may have had an earlier marriage, which would give us her maiden, first marriage, and second marriage. The fourth name is a complete mystery, as her last name was Christie, and we found records for her having children under the name Christopher. Dare say that was a Friday job!

Sylvia,

Thankyou :)

Victoria

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 December 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victoria,

Many of my descendants lived and grew up in Sorell Tasmania. My GGGG Grandfather was the first. He lived there from the 1820`s until his death.
What was the married name of your lady if you don`t mind me asking. Many of the familys in Sorell were related in some way.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 December 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johngirl,

We've got her names as Hannah Erly, Tilley and Christie. We think Erly (Early) was her maiden name, Tilley (spelt various ways) her name from her first marriage, and Christie when she married into our family.
We have absolutely no idea when or how she came to be in Tasmania.
We found at least two other Christie families in Tasmania, but mainly Hobart, Launceston areas. No connection to them yet.

Victoria

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 December 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victoria,

None of those names connect with any of mine unfortunatly
Have you got access to the Pioneer indexes. There are quite a few Christie surnames on there.
Also they have Ann instead of Hannah on the marraige indexes for her marraige to James Christie.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 December 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I'd say it's a widow's outfit, with cap and cape and gloves.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline VictorianDreamer

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We need some help too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 December 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Johngirl,

Yes, I do have Tasmanian Pioneer Index that goes up to 1899. All our Christie's are in there, plus an extra one just to make their tree that little more interesting  ;)
Someone sent me information about another Christie that showed up on another Index (Victorian something?), and as far as I knew, Hannah/Ann only had 6 children, but this one showed up with Hannah/James as her parents when she died? We did find a coincidence with one of the daughters names giving birth to a female child about the right year, and when I entered the information into the program for the family tree info, it basically said something along the lines of 'Hannah would be too old...', so that's a branch that may need some pruning. :)
We have about 6 different names for Hannah/Ann Tylie/Tyley/Tilley/Erly/Early/Christie/Christopher, so that had us bamboozled looking for her children, but we did eventually find them all. We have a copy of their marriage certificate, he signed, she 'X'd.
We also have a photo of one of James and Hannah's sons Golden Wedding Anniversary, with 20+ people in it, and then found someone who had a list of who every single person was. Will post that another day :)

Victoria

Offline NatureBoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 17:25 GMT (UK) »
James Scott Christie and Hannah Tyley were my great great great grandparents.

Is anyone still on this thread?