Author Topic: look up durham please  (Read 2876 times)

Offline dippy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: look up durham please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 December 08 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, i went on BMD and it isnt returning any children for polly maclean, i put maclean and mothers maiden name and ot came back none, any others i can try?

thanks,

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I can't understand why you're not getting them, there are 7 children listed from 1912-1927
Are you on the freebmd website: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

are you sure you've hilighted 'Births' in the top box, then put Mclean in the first 'surname' box, leave 'first names' box empty, put Smithson in 'Spouse/Mother Surname' box, leave everything else empty.

If you try again and can't get them, I'll list them for you

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 December 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi dippy2,  Are you spelling "McLean" the way it was found in her birth record???!!  The freeBMD indexes are VERY particular about spelling.   ::)   Give that a try and see what happens!  Let us know! We are not trying to be difficult with you, but you will gain much knowledge and experience doing this yourself.  ;D  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline dippy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi . i got them, thankyou, you were right i was spelling mclean wrong, i was putting maclean ,
thankyou so very much for your help everyone,

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi dippy2

Glad you found them  :)

Just for reference, if you do other searches on freebmd, there's a box at the bottom of the page 'phonetic search surnames' which you can tick, and it will bring up all the variations - useful because sometimes the surnames can be transcribed wrongly or wrong on the original!

Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Karen Debono Hopson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am totally stuck ,i am looking for more information , i know my gr aunt  was born in 1890 in stockton on tees,
she is polly smithson, she married ted maclean "dont know if ted is his full forname" where she married and when i cannot find, i cannot find her on 1901 census either , i have looked at everything i can think of but cannot find any record of her other than her birth, she lived until about the 1960s early70s , i would like information on her marraige and her children , i just cant find her at all,
could anyone please look this up for me,
thankyou so much,

ps her father was william smithson born in county durham

Offline Karen Debono Hopson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, i am totally stuck ,i am looking for more information , i know my gr aunt  was born in 1890 in stockton on tees,
she is polly smithson, she married ted maclean "dont know if ted is his full forname" where she married and when i cannot find, i cannot find her on 1901 census either , i have looked at everything i can think of but cannot find any record of her other than her birth, she lived until about the 1960s early70s , i would like information on her marraige and her children , i just cant find her at all,
could anyone please look this up for me,
thankyou so much,

ps her father was william smithson born in county durham

Hi don't know how this works but I am related to Polly Smithson she is my great grandma and her son Ted is my grandad.  Karen debono