Author Topic: Margaret Kilroe c.1892  (Read 32674 times)

Offline margaretcahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Kilroe c.1892
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
James Kilroe on your list is my grandfather on my mother's side. I've just discovered the 1911 census and have been looking up some of my family also. I don't know the answers to your questions myself but I know some of my aunts will know more if you don't get to follow it up with Chris.

Chris, am I right in thinking your father (or you) are living in Ballycommon? My mother's maiden name was Kathleen Kilroe and her brother is Mick.

Margaret

Offline Anzen64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 November 09 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
I am researching my paternal great great grandfather, Richard Kilroe. Kilroe is a very rare name here in the US. I though perhaps there may be a connection. Richard Kilroe immigrated to New York City in 1857 with his second wife, Eliza(beth) nee Webb. His first wife was Jane Kolly/Kolby??  who died in Ireland. Records I have found in this country have listed his birth place as Kings County, Ireland. It's possible that his marriage to Eliza(beth) was performed by Father Richard Buggy in the parish of Clonaslee in Laois. Richard and Elizabeth came here with a son, Sevian. They subsequently had children, John, Susan and Mary. According to Richard's death certificate his father was named, Michael Kilroe. His mother's name  was listed as Elizabeth Webb (since this was his wife's name I'm assuming that this is an error on the part of the person giving the information). Hoping to connect with family members of this Irish Kilroe branch. Would appreciate any replies.

Eileen

Offline margaretcahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 November 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Lynn,
I went to the church in Ballycommon a few weeks ago to check for you if Peter and Hester Kilroe were buried there. The graveyard surrounds the church, which was built in 1841.

There was a grave with two different headstones. The first headstone lists Esther Kilroe, died 1912 and Peter Kilroe died 1913. It seems that they died shortly after the census was taken and within a year of each other at most. No other details are given about them. That headstone also lists Katie Kilroe, died 1952 and Thomas Kilroe, died 1958.
Another headstone on the same plot lists Esther (Hester their daughter I presume) who died 21/6/1959 aged 76 and Michael who died 15/6/1971 aged 77.

One of James Kilroe's daughters (an aunt of mine) is also named Esther so it seems the name has lived on in this form, although my mother remembers they having an aunt "Het" (Hester the daughter from the census). I can take some photos to send to you when I am home over the Christmas holidays if you want. My parents live in Tullamore.

I would like to try to find out more about where Peter and Hester Sheeran came from so I will try to do some research on this when I can but it may be the new year before I have time. There are some Sheeran's listed on the census form but without knowing a bit more about Hester's family it's hard to know if they are related. I'm attaching a google map of the area with the graveyard I mentioned marked. It includes many of the surrounding placenames so you can see which of the Sheeran families lived nearby.

I hope that's been of some help.

Regards,
Margaret

Offline Maia261

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret and Eileen,
I am sorry I have not replied to this post before, I never received notification that there had been any replies.

Eileen, I'm unsure if we have a connection or not as I have been unable to get further back than Peter and Esther so far. A bit more diggin needed here.

Margaret, So we're 2nd cousins once remove, Hello cousin.  :D
Thank you so much for the info, that has been a great help, it would be wonderful to actually have a photo of the gravestones too if you can manage it. The name Hester has certainly lived on, David and Margaret had a daughter Hester, she also had a daughter Hester who is my Dad's cousin.

It would be great to be able to find out more about both the Kilroe's and Sheerin's, no rush, I know what it's like when life gets in the way.  ;D

Regards
Lynn
Mackay – Inverness, Ross and Cromarty & Sutherland
Watson – Inverness-Shire & Ross and Cromarty
Douglas – Inverness-Shire & Moray
Sutherland – Caithness
Kilroe – Inverness & Ireland
Paterson - Banff
Clark – Glasgow & Ireland
Thomson – Caithness
Montgomery – Ross and Cromarty
Allanach – Moray & Glenbucket, Aberdeen
Smith – Banff
McLellan - Glenmoriston & Islay
Harvey – Glasgow & Ireland
Miller – Edinburgh & Caithness
Shearer - Caithness

Offline justasktess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 January 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Magaret Kilroe was my fathers aunt. Hester and Peter are his grandparents and my great grandparents. christopher Kilroe  magaret brother was my grandfather. That makes me and Chris first cousins!.  let me know if you need any information and i will try and find out what i can.

cheers

Tess.

Offline Maia261

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 January 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tess,

Great to hear from you, and nice to "meet" a new cousin (2nd cousin once removed) on New Year's Day.

I still don't know very much about Peter and Hester and would love to know what their parent's names were, and basically anything about their lives that you know would be good to know too. Once you've made a couple more posts we can PM each other and exchange email addresses as I would also love to know more about their descendants as well.  :)

Lynn
Mackay – Inverness, Ross and Cromarty & Sutherland
Watson – Inverness-Shire & Ross and Cromarty
Douglas – Inverness-Shire & Moray
Sutherland – Caithness
Kilroe – Inverness & Ireland
Paterson - Banff
Clark – Glasgow & Ireland
Thomson – Caithness
Montgomery – Ross and Cromarty
Allanach – Moray & Glenbucket, Aberdeen
Smith – Banff
McLellan - Glenmoriston & Islay
Harvey – Glasgow & Ireland
Miller – Edinburgh & Caithness
Shearer - Caithness

Offline justasktess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 January 10 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

Great to hear from you as well i have been trying to research my family tree but finding the time is hard. I will talk to my dad when i am back up in Tullamore and try and find out more information. I think peter's father was called Tom kilroe but not 100% sure.

lovely to hear from you keep in touch.

Tess.

Offline Anzen64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 January 10 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Lynn,
Thanks for the reply. I have just yesterday found a marriage record for Richard Kilroe and Eliza Webb who married in Clonislee, Queen's County.  I believe this is very near Offaly where Richard was supposed to be born. I suspect Eliza may be the daughter of local school teacher, John Webb, who was with the school in Clonislee from 1832 to at least 1854. I'm sure there is a connection somewhere back there among the Kilroes. Hopefully when you get back farther you can let me know. Would love to learn more about my Kilroe family and some day find relatives still living in Ireland. Many thanks.

Best Regard
Eileen

Offline Mary Fitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 January 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn.

My mother, Esther Kilroe (daughter of Christopher Kilroe) who was called after Esther Sheerin Kilroe, is a niece of your great grandmother.  I am your second cousin once removed.

Further information re the Kilroes -

Esther Kilroe died aged 54 years from Exhaustion

Peter Kilroe died aged 57 years from Bronchial Pneumonia

Catherine (Katie) Kilroe who never married worked in a police station in Scotland before she retired and returned to Ireland. 

The house where your great grandmother and my grandfather lived is still inhabited by my late uncle’s widow.  I will send a photo in time.

My mother knows where all of your great grandmother’s siblings are buried.  Again, I will send photos of the headstones in time.

My mother met your great grandmother when she came home to Ireland to visit her siblings in 1946.

Your great grandparents brought their grand daughter (Anne Lucas McKay) with them when they came to Ireland. 

Shortly after your great grandmother’s visit my mother’s sister was born.  She was called after your great grandmother.

The family has done a lot a work in tracing the family history.  I have a lot of information but there is a gap. 

I will mail you in the next week or so when I have the gap resolved.

Regards,

Mary