Author Topic: Binfield 1801 Census  (Read 26804 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Binfield 1801 Census
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
The Shoulder of Mutton was pulled down about five years ago.  It stood on the corner of London Road (B3408) and Beehive Road opposite St Marks Road which leads up to the main original village of Binfield.

The union workhouse in East Hampstead was an an extension to the original workhouse made in 1834 to cover a number of surrounding villages including Binfield and included an infirmary.  In 1914 it became Church Hill House Hospital for the mentally ill which it remained until fairly recently when the residents were dispursed into smaller units spread around the area.

If you want more of its history PM me.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 August 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Newburychap,

I would appreciate a lookup for the Cutler family of Binfield Berkshire - mainly Elizabeth Cutler who by 1801 would be late 50's & her son John born 1767.

Thanks
Matt94
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Elsewhere on Rootschat is a link to a recent publication of the Binfield 1801 census from www.eurekapartnership.com

Link not added here - what a pain it is not being able to cut and paste!  Anyway, it comes up if you Google it.  ;-)

Given my ongoing questions about the Wheelers, Carters, Longs, Knibbs, etc I've ordered a copy, so hopefully soon I may be able to answer other queries about it.

By the way, I discovered from the 1851 census that my William CARTER 1785-ish was born in Waltham St Lawrence, although his father, Richard CARTER, may have been born in Binfield.  I say "may", as he seems to not to have married his children's mother Susannah until after most of them were born. 

Is anyone else here looking into the Carters of Binfield/Waltham St Lawrence?  I'd be very grateful for advice about a number of questions!

Therese
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 July 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Therese
                  I was looking at your entry about the Carter's of Binfield.  In it you say that Richard may have married after the children were born.  I have information that Richard married in May 1776  and their first child was christened Mar 1776.  I can go back to Robert 1669 but do not know where he was born.
Sparky2

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 July 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Do you mean Richard Carter who appears in the 1801 census in "House 39" with wife Susanna and two small children (Susannah and James)? 

(That would make the "first child" you mention Betty, christened in Waltham St Lawrence on 3rd March 1776, presumably?)

Do you know where he married Susannah and what her maiden name was? 

Curious - I thought I had listed the Binfield 1801 census in the Berkshire look-up offers.  If I did, I can't find it now!

Anyway, following on from that I had an exchange with JillRuss (sorry - can't cut and paste the link to her here!) where she said she thought Robert Carter had been born in Hurley on 17 Apr 1722, the son of Francis and Christian - although I'm not sure whether I ever knew why she thought he was from Hurley.

It sounds as though you have another theory about who Richard's parents and grandparents were and where /when he was born.

Since first cousins marry a couple of generations later in my tree, I have Richard Carter in my tree twice.  There is a more implausible idea for his parents in the other place he appears in my tree at the moment.

Do I sound a bit confused?  ;-)  I haven't looked at that bit of my tree for quite a while and it's all quite hard to understand.

I'd be very grateful indeed if you could tell me where & when "your" Richard Carter was born, and who his parents/grandparents were and how he fits into the Carter family tree in Binfield!  :)

Thanks! :)

Therese.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline george165

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 July 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Therese
                 This is what I have but going back that early it can be very hard to confirm.  I will put down what I have from the earliest.
Robert Carter b around 1669
married Rachell Leach 5/09/1689 Wokingham plus 13 children all born Wokingham
Robert Carter c11/08/1711 Binfield
married Ann Dickonson 25/02/1742 Binfield plus 10 children all born Binfield
Richard Carter c28/06/1758 Binfield
married Susannah Leach 19/05/1776 plus 8 children born Waltham St Lawrence
I hope you can work this out.  I am related to Charles Carter born 1821 Binfield who had a son Enoch Edward born 1854 Binfield who was my gggrandfather.
Best of luck
Sparky2

Offline Richdwm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 28 January 12 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Therese and others....

I am trying to find a link between Hagbourne Wheelers - particularly Mishack Wheeler who moved to Binfield from Hagbourne before 1841 when he was 14yrs old.

It appears that he may have been lodging with Elizabeth Wheeler (nee Knibb), and must have been related, but I have yet to discover how.

He is son of Daniel Wheeler of Hagbourne and Elizabeth Essex of Hagbourne, but I cannot find Daniel's antecedents.

Can you help (Mishack is a brilliant link as there is only one of him...)

Richard

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 January 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure.  I haven't looked at my tree for a while.

Mishack rings a bell in that at one point I thought he belonged in my tree but it turned out he didn't.  If I remember rightly it's not the same Elizabeth Wheeler.   Possibly!  ???

I have Elizabeth Wheeler (nee KNIBB) as follows in my tree:

- 1801 - Elizabeth KNIBB servant of E O Elliot Esq and Margaret van Cortland(t) at Binfield (Park) House.

- 1841 - age 65 at Pope's Wood Cottages with son-in-law Joseph FLETCHER and family.  Not born in Berkshire.

- 1851 - age 76 living with grandson Isaac WHEELER and family in Binfield.  Born in "Warwickshire N K", deaf.

- 1861 - age 86 living with "son" Isaac WHEELER and family in Binfield. Born in "Watin", Warwickshire.

Do the Hagbourne Wheelers have any link to Binfield before Mishack?

There's a Daniel Wheeler c1817 Binfield, and another c1819, sons of William and Anne Wheeler on IGI.

William Wheeler c 1777 Binfield is Elizabeth KNIBB's brother in law - ie brother of Isaac Wheeler c1780 Binfield and child of Isaac Wheeler and Ann Jane Dowlin who married in Wokingham in 1774. 

(NB Ann Jane Dowlin(g) is shown as Ann Wheeler and Jane Wheeler in different christening records for various children.)

I wish I could cut and paste the relevant IGI URL but RootsChat won't let me!  :(

Take a look at www.familysearch.org/search/ - name Wheeler and Batch number C020373.

I'm not sure whether any of this will help you or not!

Good luck!

Therese.

Offline Richdwm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 January 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Therese. All hugely helpful - but Sandy on another topic (child of Thomas Wheeler) tells me that Meshach was at Murrell Hill in Binfield with Mary Hicks, Richard Wright, and others, not with Elizabeth Wheeler.
And I rather think that Mary Hicks was the cousin of Meshach's father Daniel - so an explanation!

Richard W