Author Topic: Anyone know about the surname: Blaschofsky??  (Read 3602 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know about the surname: Blaschofsky??
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
You could well have the ketuba (the Jewish marriage contract). Can you scan it and post it here?

However, the ketuba will only tell the bride's and groom's full Hebrew names. It was actually written in Aramaic, but there are standard translations on the web.

The marriage authorisation is mostly in English and is of more use - genealogically speaking.

If the scanned image is too big to post send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

A huge number of BMD records from the Jewish communities of the Russian Pale have survived the many wars. The are being progressively transcribed from Russian (and Polish for earlier records) and put into a database hosted by JewishGen. If you search the web for JRI-Poland (i.e. Jewish Records Indexing - Poland) you'll find the database.

We need to establish Josef's placed of birth.

Justin

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 January 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
You could well have the ketuba (the Jewish marriage contract). Can you scan it and post it here?

However, the ketuba will only tell the bride's and groom's full Hebrew names. It was actually written in Aramaic, but there are standard translations on the web.

The marriage authorisation is mostly in English and is of more use - genealogically speaking.

If the scanned image is too big to post send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

A huge number of BMD records from the Jewish communities of the Russian Pale have survived the many wars. The are being progressively transcribed from Russian (and Polish for earlier records) and put into a database hosted by JewishGen. If you search the web for JRI-Poland (i.e. Jewish Records Indexing - Poland) you'll find the database.

We need to establish Josef's placed of birth.

Justin

the place of birth of joseph is london some where,think whitechapel!

anyway here are the scans....please help!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bristolhermit/UntitledAlbum?feat=directlink

interestingly this has also been found...possible relativE?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 January 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
What you have there is the ketuba - the marriage contract or covenant as it was called by the United Synagogue.

The full Hebrew names are:

Groom: Yosef ben (son of) Shlomoh ha'mechune (known as) Zalman

Bride: Chana bat (daughter of) Shemuel Ya'acov ha-Levi (the Levite)

In your post of 10 November you stated that your father had said that Josef was born in a place called Photz. I thought the birth in Whitechapel had been ruled out.

Justin

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
What you have there is the ketuba - the marriage contract or covenant as it was called by the United Synagogue.

The full Hebrew names are:

Groom: Yosef ben (son of) Shlomoh ha'mechune (known as) Zalman

Bride: Chana bat (daughter of) Shemuel Ya'acov ha-Levi (the Levite)

In your post of 10 November you stated that your father had said that Josef was born in a place called Photz. I thought the birth in Whitechapel had been ruled out.

Justin

Thanks so much,

So joseph koskys hebrew name is Yosef ben? And his father solomon is called Shlomoh ha'mechune ?

Can we search for Shlomoh ha'mechune at all?

I need to do some research regarding joseph birth, but im sure it was england, i think it was solomon who wasnt born here. but had joseph in england.

thanks

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to learn a smattering of Hebrew, as I had to. The words in italics below are Hebrew.

ben = son of
bat = daughter of
ha'mechune = also known as
ha-Levi = the Levite

That makes:

Yosef son of Shlomoh also known as Zalman

Chana daughter of Shemuel Ya'acov the Levite

The marriage authorisation, which costs about £20 I believe, would clarify Joseph's place of birth. Not cheap, I know. Do you have any other way information sources?

Justin

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 19:53 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to learn a smattering of Hebrew, as I had to. The words in italics below are Hebrew.

ben = son of
bat = daughter of
ha'mechune = also known as
ha-Levi = the Levite

That makes:

Yosef son of Shlomoh also known as Zalman

Chana daughter of Shemuel Ya'acov the Levite

The marriage authorisation, which costs about £20 I believe, would clarify Joseph's place of birth. Not cheap, I know. Do you have any other way information sources?

Justin

Cheers , i have no other way of gaining information.

So i should gain the marriage authorisation of joseph and anne?  £20? i would pay that...would it provide me with info of josephs parents etc..?

im sure this is my joseph

http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=96450280&d=bmd_1230653002

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 22:53 GMT (UK) »
We appear to be going round in circles.

KerryEL clarified that the Joseph Kosky born in Whitechapel in Q2 1897 was her ancestor. He was also the son of Barnet Kosky, NOT of Solomon/Zalman.

I gather that your Joseph was either 27 or 29 when he married in 1917, i.e. born  in about 1890. Therefore, he cannot be the above Joseph.

Can you post the civil marriage cert to the same website as you did for the ketuba?

The marriage authorisation will not give you any further info on the bride's and groom's parents. If you go to the link I cited previously you can view an example.

Before I go I should explain that Solomon is the Anglicized form of the Hebrew name Shlomoh. Zalman was the common Yiddish nickname for men called Shlomoh.

Justin

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 07:52 GMT (UK) »
We appear to be going round in circles.

KerryEL clarified that the Joseph Kosky born in Whitechapel in Q2 1897 was her ancestor. He was also the son of Barnet Kosky, NOT of Solomon/Zalman.

I gather that your Joseph was either 27 or 29 when he married in 1917, i.e. born  in about 1890. Therefore, he cannot be the above Joseph.

Can you post the civil marriage cert to the same website as you did for the ketuba?

The marriage authorisation will not give you any further info on the bride's and groom's parents. If you go to the link I cited previously you can view an example.

Before I go I should explain that Solomon is the Anglicized form of the Hebrew name Shlomoh. Zalman was the common Yiddish nickname for men called Shlomoh.

Justin

Thanks for the help, i'll post the other scans when i get home from work.

cheers

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

While your scanning can you have a look at the bottom of the ketuba. Have you missed three lines of hand-written Hebrew - signatures in fact. Joeseph may not have been able to write in English, but I would guess that Hebrew/Yiddish would not have been a problem for him.

All the best,

Justin