Author Topic: Anyone know about the surname: Blaschofsky??  (Read 3605 times)

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone know about the surname: Blaschofsky??
« on: Saturday 27 December 08 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Found out my great grandfather's original surname was Blaschofsky.  Anyone know anything about it?

His father was Solomon Kosky (Blaschofsky)  I'd like to trace these roots.

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know about the surname: Blaschofsky??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
There are several variants on the name Blaschofsky on census, and all seem to come originally from Poland:

Blachowski
Blashcosket/Blaskosket
Blaskowski
etc

There are also Koski/Kosky families from Poland.

What is your great-grandfather's name and date of birth? 

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 15:26 GMT (UK) »
To avoid duplication of efforts, please check out this topic too:

Topic: Kosky's to England from Poland spelt Blachskosky???
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,339568.0.html

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bob - the topic seems to have been covered pretty thoroughly on the other thread!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 January 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
There are several variants on the name Blaschofsky on census, and all seem to come originally from Poland:

Blachowski
Blashcosket/Blaskosket
Blaskowski
etc

There are also Koski/Kosky families from Poland.

What is your great-grandfather's name and date of birth? 

Rambler

cyril kosky is my grandfather
his father is joseph kosky, died 6th april 1944 aged 56

i would like to find joseph's parents. i know his dad is called solomon and i believe they must of had the surname Blaschofsky. but i know nothing else.

thanks

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help??  ???

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 January 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
It is vital to establish the real identity of Photz.

Are you certain that the Kosky/Levine marriage in the Great Synagogue is the right one?

The GS was destroyed during WWII. You need to contact the London Beth Din of the United Synagogue. This is the rabbinical court for the US, which is the umbrella organisation for Jewish congregations in London. The number is 020 8343 8989.

You should enquire about the marriage authorisation for the couple. This document in English and Hebrew should state the places of birth of the groom and bride. If you send me your email address by PM, I can send you an example.

The surname Blaszkowski (or similar) appears in numerous BMD records of former Congress Poland, i.e. the territory under Russian rule. I would be quite hopeful that you can trace the Jewish roots of this family.

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 January 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Here's the explanation that I would have sent you.

http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/Marriage_Authorisations.shtml

Justin

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
It is vital to establish the real identity of Photz.

Are you certain that the Kosky/Levine marriage in the Great Synagogue is the right one?

The GS was destroyed during WWII. You need to contact the London Beth Din of the United Synagogue. This is the rabbinical court for the US, which is the umbrella organisation for Jewish congregations in London. The number is 020 8343 8989.

You should enquire about the marriage authorisation for the couple. This document in English and Hebrew should state the places of birth of the groom and bride. If you send me your email address by PM, I can send you an example.

The surname Blaszkowski (or similar) appears in numerous BMD records of former Congress Poland, i.e. the territory under Russian rule. I would be quite hopeful that you can trace the Jewish roots of this family.

Justin

Thankyou for your help.

I am certain the Kosky/Levine marriage in the Great Synagogue is the right one.

On the English marraige certificate the details are 22/04/1917.

Joseph Kosky was 29, a ladies taylor and his father was called Solomon Kosky who was a clothier.

Where joseph kosky was supposed to sign at the bottom it has a small scribble, like a circle, then in brackets the words 'the mark of joseph kosky' ........... so maybe he couldnt read or write? or even know english, etc?

I have just had a look and I seem to have a document of the marriage in hebrew which at the top says 'united synagogue' london.  I presume this is the hebrew marraige certificate...if i sent it to someone could they translate or even find if there is any important info on it?

So you think i will be able to trace Solomon Kosky (Blaschofsky) ??? That would be great...I just dont know what to do..

Thanks!