Author Topic: Roman Catholic research in Lancashire  (Read 23607 times)

Offline Pagr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic research in Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I found a William Waterhouse born 1st January 1822 son of Richard & Ann baptised at St Mary's RC Brownedge Walton le Dale. Godparents Lawrence Brown & Betty Woodcock.
There is a Richard born 11th Sept.1796 to Thomas & Ann bapt. at the same church who could be his father in 1841 he is aged 40-44 and 1851 58 years old.
There are dozens of Waterhouses in this area if you want more info send me your email and when I have time I will try and help in more detail
pagr

Offline stokessquelch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi pagr

Amazing!! You have let me get another generation straight away. I am sure this is all correct for my family as I have the parents Richard and Ann from the censuses. Also, it gives Richard as born in Walton le Dale. I think the Ann is Ann Woods, marriage 24.5.1814 in Leyland.

I agree with the ages for Richard on the census, but I also have 1861 when it seems to be age 87!! - although it is pretty unreadable.

I have brothers and sisters from the censuses but no birth records - can't find William (my direct ancestor) in 1851. Ihave one, married to an Elizabeth, but I know that is incorrect as the same family is in 1861, where I DO have my William.

Any other info would be very gladly received. Thanks again

Hope I can give the same service to someone looking for the records that I have.

Janet

Offline Pagr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
 :(
Hi Janet,

Too much to copy out here, let me have your email please in a Pm
Thanks
pagr

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
I too have Waterhouse ancestors in Walton-le-Dale, though I've not yet connected your Richard and William.

The Waterhouses were nearly all RC. In the period before 1837, you are likely to find that:
  • Baptisms were are St. Mary's, Brownedge, being nearest RC church to their home.
  • Marriages were at St Mary's, with a CofE ceremony the following day at St. Andrew's in Leyland, because Brownedge was in Leyland CofE parish.
  • Burials were at St. Leonard's, Walton-le-Dale, being nearest burial ground to home.

Occasionally they used Brindle, but for most of Walton, it's not as easy to reach as Brownedge. Brindle church is older than Brownedge, and Samlesbury older still. In the early registers, transcribed by the Catholic Record Society, you see Brindle people's events at Samlesbury, and Samlesbury people's events at Brindle, so there might be ancestors in either place.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline stokessquelch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much
I don't know anything about the RC history - only just found that Waterhouses were RC - need to work out when they changed, as my grandmother (Mabel Waterhouse) was not RC as far as I know (no one left to ask now).
Don't suppose in your vast resources, you have the birth of Susannah Greenwood (William's wife?) I have:
Birth 7.7.1834, christened 27.7.1834, St Paul, Blackburn of Jabez and Betty, IGI, given as Susan (Know thaty IGi can be unreliable)

Thanks

Janet

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
People seem to move pretty randomly between CofE and RC around here.

My gg grandmother Mary Waterhouse (RC) married Robert Alstead/Alston (CofE) in 1859. They were RC from then onwards. Their son Christopher married Emily Fulham (RC) and the family was RC until their eldest child was nearly of school age. Then they went CofE - the school was just up the street from where they lived. I've worked the date out as 1896-7 from the baptism records.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Pagr

Please may I have two Baptismal lookups for Our Lady & St Patrick, Walton le Dale

Mary Booth born 1880 Walton le Dale and Elizabeth Ann Booth born 1872 Walton le Dale,

Thak you

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline paslwigr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
 :D
Hi Simon,

Not at St Patrick's actually, but St Mary's RC Brownedge. Bamber Bridge, Walton le Dale.
Mary Booth born 2nd August 1880 illegitimate daughter of Helen. Godparents James & Elizabeth Ann Molyneux.

Elizabeth Ann Booth born 2nd February 1872 illegitimate daughter of Helen. Godparents James & Helen Cookson.

There is another Mary Booth born 2nd August 1880 daughter of John & Ruth[nee Waterhouse] godparents Richard Sharples & Jane Thompson.

If you need more help let me know. Also note I have changed my username from pagr to :-
paslwigr

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
paslwigr

Many thanks for the look up, it was very kind of you

Sorry about the mix-up with churches, I keep forgetting about St.Marys in Brig

Kind regards

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester