Author Topic: Sarah Cecilia Rees b.1861 Steynton  (Read 6258 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Cecilia Rees b.1861 Steynton
« on: Sunday 28 December 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I think Sarah married a Thomas Evans 4th Qtr 1883, Pembroke (Vol 11a Page 1475).  I found Sarah on 1891 census with daughter Sarah Cecilia age 9 months but she is widowed.  Can anyone trace what happened to her and her daughter?  I assume she remarried but I've not been able to find her.  Sarah (mother) was born in Steynton; her daughter (Sarah) was born in Llanstadwell.
Thanks for any help.   8)

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Cecilia Rees b.1861 Steynton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Maybe?

RG13/5126 37 16
Neyland, Pembrokeshire
15 Front St

George E Stephens, head, 57, Chemist & Druggist, b. City of Westminster
Catherine M, wife, 34, b. Essex Mount Buert?
Edward A D, son, 9, scholar, b. Neyland
Alice M, dau, 4, b. do.
Cecilia Evans, adopted daughter, 10, scholar, b. Neyland
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Tati

Yes, I think this could be her. Neyland is only a mile or so from Llanstadwell. If this is the case I will need to find a death for her mother. She is an adopted daughter of a couple who are 23 years apart in age. Because of the age difference I think George could have been widowed and Catherine is his second wife. Whilst they were born in the south-east of England, their own children are listed as born in Pembroke, so perhaps they thad moved to Pembrokeshire when they were children.
Maybe Sarah Cecilia Evans married George Stephans (although he is still a few years older than her), taking on daughter Sarah (known as Cecilia).  Sarah Cecilia dies and George marries Catherine Maria.  Cecilia stays with them and the next year (1892)their own first child Edward arrives, followed by Alice.  Cecilia is formally adopted.  I have found George & Catherine on the 1891 census with a daughter Emily Maud b.1874 (he is listed as STEPHENS) but I think it is incorrectly transcribed assigning him several more children - I believe they are a different family with surname of WING.  Emily would have left the family by 1901.

These are only ideas. What do you think?
AND CAN YOU FOLLOW UP WITH A MARRIAGE FOR CECILIA EVANS?
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 08 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I can't see anything for Sarah Cecilia, death or marriage wise  :-\
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 08 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Well that's blown my theory!  Have you got one that fits?  Cecilia is quite an unusual name and the dob of the "adopted daughter" fits the 1891 census record. Not sure where to go from here..... Help.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Something else to consider: I think the census listing is for CECELIA EVANS (not Sarah Cecelia as I first thought - there were two ditto's and I thought it referred to both parts of name). I can find a birth of a Cecelia Evans in Sept 1890 Vol 11a 1069, Pembroke- this fits. When I followed up a marriage for her the only one that could fit was in Pembroke, March 1819, Vol 11A, page 1832 between Cecelia Rees and ??? Stephens.  It's very frustrating to have the error here, but it did occur to me that here is a link to the Stephens' family mentioned in previous posting.  What do you now think??  :-\

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the complete marriage records - Edward Stephens' marriage has the same reference (its 1918 - by the way). He is the son in the 1901 household.
I was looking at this thread earlier, and in 1891 Sarah and Cecelia were living close to High Street where the Stephens live. It does look to be the same child in both censuses. (to me anyway)
The mother, Sarah may have married as plain Sarah Evans which would be difficult to follow I suppose. As, has been said, there doesn't seem to be a death.
best wishes
heywood  :)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 Census for Neyland,Pembrokeshire, Sarah Cecelia Lee Evans, nee Rees, was living in Frederick Street with her 9 month old daughter Cecilia Evans. A close look at the next entry on that page is for Broad House,  High Street Neyland which records her two sons Charles Garfield Evans and Edward Morley Evans with their uncle and aunty Maurice and Elizabeth Evans.  These two boys are subsequently raised by the uncle and benefit from his death in 1933 and an address of 1 Frederick Street, Neyland.

Maybe a local may confirm Frederick Street in relation to High Street, Neyland.

Has anyone access to death records of Haverfordwest for Sarah Cecilia Lee Rees or Evans in Haverfordwest 1929?
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I think Sarah married a Thomas Evans 4th Qtr 1883, Pembroke (Vol 11a Page 1475).     8)

Welshnewspapers on line  http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home
Search for "thomas evans tailor" (inc "  " as part of search key) and restrict to 1883 using date slider bars. Marriage notice appeared in several papers.