Author Topic: Bradford Pals  (Read 11009 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford Pals
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
http://www.bradlibs.com/bradfordpals/book/index.htm

Have a Google of Great War Forum that will give you a lot of info on WW1
The Bradford Roll of Honour has been put online to view it has regiments and addresses of men from Bradford who served.

A guy called Tempest wrote the history of 1/6th there is a nominal roll in it.

He was originally numbered 2998 and probably injured or sick as he transferred to the Labour corps too.he was discharged in 1919

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady
How did u know his other number? I've got that on one of his medals! X

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 June 14 18:02 BST (UK) »
Medal index cards are on ancestry they give a mans medal entitlement and sometimes other info

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline BradfordPal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
I thought that your idea was such a good one that I wanted to assist if I could so I spent an hour earlier looking up your chap.

His name was actually Charles Edmund Fawcett b. Bradford 11/3/1886. Son of John Robert Fawcett b. Leeds 1866 and Elizabeth Ann Clegg b. Gatehouse, Scotland 1863.

Baptised St Peter's Bradford 18/4/1886 (Became Bradford Cathedral 1919)

1901 Census: 44 Fieldhead Street, Listerhills.

1911 Census: 4 Primrose Terrace, Bradford. Lodger at his future wife's home. Ellen Williamson is 26 and a restaurant waitress. Charles is 25 and a Dyer's Labourer.

(Primrose Terrace no longer exists but 1911 Census return suggests it is just off White Abbey Road. Near to existing Primrose Street)

Charles had 4 brothers (Joseph Robert, Richard Clegg, William Frederick and Henry) and 2 sisters (Mary A and Isabella)

As Ady has already stated your man was not a Bradford Pal but his brother Joseph was.

Pte 18/176 Joseph Robert Fawcett was Killed in Action (KIA) on the first day of the Battle of the Somme (1/7/1916) serving with 18 Bn West Yorks (2nd Pals) Age 27. He has no known grave but is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France. Additional information states “Husband of Rhoda Fawcett, of 19, Lower Lane, Wakefield Rd., Bradford, Yorks.”

Pte 341036 Richard Clegg Fawcett – 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers KIA 23/8/1918 and is buried at Douchy-Les-Ayette British Cemetery in France. (CWGC has his number as 341026. Medal Index Card 341036)

So it is true that Charles had two brothers killed in WW1 but not on the same day.

I couldn't confirm military service for William Frederick but did find his marriage to Amy Hardaker 26/12/1919 at St Mary’s, Laisterdyke. He died in Bradford 1972 Age 76.

The fourth brother Henry died in 1912 age just 11 years old.

Charles married Ellen Williamson in 1911 and as far as I can tell they had just the two children that you mention.
Mary A.P.L. b. Bradford 1912
Emily b 1915 Bradford. d. 1917 Age 1 Yr.

Charles died in Bradford 1952 age 65.

I hope this is helpful and is not too late for you. If you need anything else or more detail please get in touch.

Martin
Ingham, (Bradford) Firth (Huddersfield/Bradford)
Regan. (Ireland, Staffordshire, Bradford)
Winterburn (North and West Riding)

Researching 16th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment (1st Bradford Pals).

War Graves material acknowledged as being sourced from and copyright of Commonwealth War Graves Commission, from www.cwgc.org

Census information and War Diary content Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
Martin, thank you so much for all of this information. The children have loved learning about ww1 and have done some fantastic work. Being able to handle the medals ands letters really helped.  They will be really interested in learning more about Charles. We spent a lot of time 'putting ourselves in his shoes'. The letters they wrote home from the trenches were great.
I will also pass on the information to Charles' granddaughter  who lent me the medals. I know she wanted to know more about him so she will be so happy with the information.
Thank you again, I really appreciate you giving up your time to find out so much for us. X

Offline malcolmpullan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have just discovered this post. I don't know if it was from this year or a previous year. I am a great grandson of Richard Clegg Fawcett, brother of Charles Fawcett who you were interested in. I would very much like to exchange information, photos etc with Charles Fawcett's granddaughter if that is possible. I have copies of several photos of family members of that generation (and before), including Charles, plus letters home from Richard and Joseph during WW1. Is there any way we could get in touch? By the way, I have also been in touch with descendants of Joseph Fawcett (and a much younger brother not mentioned). One of them has done a lot of family history research.

Malcolm

Offline Spannerz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 November 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anybody is looking at this but I would like help finding information on my Grandfather.
I believe he joined up with the Bradford Pals.
Private John Charles Parker 33467 Yorkshire Regiment.
I wondered if he was listed and what info is available.
My belief is he was wounded in Italy and possibly was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, not sure if he was eligible for any others.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ken1930

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 January 22 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this page & hoping someone can help me find info on my grandfather. His name was Albert Williams & he died when he was approx 25yo leaving behind his wife Ellen & sons Kenneth, Stanley& Derek
They lived in Bradford & he was a member of Bradford pals
He died in approximately 1939 & there was a procession up street for his funeral
Any info on where to start or who to contact would be appreciated

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 January 22 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello & Welcome.
Can you confirm he died in 1939 aged 25.
This would give him a D.O.B. of 1914.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/