Author Topic: Bradford Pals  (Read 10972 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford Pals
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hes transcribed on the Medal Index Cards as George E Coulton
Served as 1550 Private in the West Yorkshire Regiment Then with York and Lancasters and finally with the Waterways and Railway companies of the Royal Engineers.
I suspect that he wasnt a Bradford Pal(they were 16th and 18th Batts West Yorkshire Regiment) but a member of the 1/6th or 2/6th West Yorkshires who were Territorials.
He went overseas after 1st Jan 1916 and was entitled to a British War and Victory medals

The 1/6th,2/6th were Bradford based Territorials.(BRADFORD PALS 16th Batt went overseas in Dec 1915 and were entitled to 15 Star)

There are Histories of the 6th Batt written by Major Tempest ...Its not unusual for a lad to be moved regiments when wounded.
Is he on the Roll in the City library...There maybe photos in the gallant heroes section also.

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline sarahcolly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
thanks Ady thats  brill  i will have a look at on the Roll in the City library,why i was looking for him in the Bradford Pals was because another article i found where his sons were all in the 2nd world war   at the same time it said he severed with the Bradford Pals ,I thought it might have been a surname error thats why i found it hard to trace him :)

thanks once again sarah

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a teacher in a Bradford primary school.  We are planning some work to commemorate the anniversary of WW1 and thought it might be more 'real' and relevant to the pupils if we found out about the Bradford Pals.  I was hoping t take it a stage further in my class by finding out about an actual soldier.  Someone has been kind enough to lend me her grandfather's medals, a photo and some postcards he sent home to his wife.  However, despite hours of searching, I cannot find any more information about him.  I stumbled across this site and wondered if anyone could help?
The man's name was Charles Edward Fawcett, his wife was Ellen Williamson, he had a daughter called Emily who died, and another daughter called Mary Annie Patricia Lily born in 1912.  He also had 2 brothers who died on the same day in the war, but I don't know their names.
Thank you for reading - I hope someone can help  xx

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you get your pupil to look at the rims of the medals then his number will be impressed into them
Only about 30% of records survive but we can help with some info and tell you where to look.
Suspect that one of brothers was Joseph Fawcett 18/76 from Listerhills on census he was killed on 1st day of Somme with 2nd Bradford Pals L...there was a brother called Richard too but can't see him listed as dead

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
Wow I hadn't noticed that! It says 240886 PTE C E FAWCETT
x

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:40 BST (UK) »
In that case he was a Territorial probably in 1\6th battalion they were Bradford territorial based soldiers.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for replying.
How do I find out more? I've found a book about the pals that I'm reading for general background, but would love to be able to tell the children about an actual person.

Netty x

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:47 BST (UK) »
What else does it say on rim ?West Yorkshire Reg?

Ralph Hudson wrote a good book on the Bradford Pals there is info in city library
I'm pretty certain waterstones in Bradford do a children's book on the pals too

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline nettynoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 June 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Yes it says W. YORK. R
Is there nowhere else I can look on Internet? I'll struggle to get to library as I'm at work until at least 6 every day  :-\