Author Topic: MANN and LOUGHRIE birthplaces  (Read 17873 times)

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MANN and LOUGHRIE birthplaces
« on: Monday 29 December 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate advice on how I might establish from which community in Derry/Londonderry my ancestors originated.

According to the Scottish 1851 Wigtownshire census,  Agnes, Elizabeth, George, Sarah, Martha, Mary and William MANN were born in Ireland between about 1834 and 1849 to James Mann and Janet LOUGHRIE.  Agnes Mann specified Co Derry/Londonderry in 1871-1901 Wigtownshire censuses as her birthplace so I am hoping that the rest of the family came from the same place.

Mother Janet was apparently born in Portpatrick, Wigtownshire, but her father Henry Loughrie was Irish, born abt 1771 (from 1851 Census). 

The Loughrie name has been spelled LOCHARY, LOUCHIE, LAWRIE in later documents which has slowed tracing the family somewhat!

Regards, Michael.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: MANN and LOUGHRIE birthplaces
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 December 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I also have Mann and Loughrey relations from Co Londonderry.  I don't know if they are connected to yours but I can give you locations to check out.

My gt gt gt grandfather's sister Thomasina Church married Henry Mann of Castledawson in the south of the county, who would be the same sort of age as your James Mann.  Henry and Thomasina had a inn/hotel at Hillhead outside Castledawson and also farmed.  Their only child I know of is William Church Mann who died in 1893.

Henry Loughrey of Ballykelly was my gt gt gt gt grandfather in another line.  Ballykelly is on the shores of Lough Foyle in the north of the county, near Limavady.  His daughter, my gt gt gt grandmother Elizabeth, married Robert Blair and moved to Aghadowey near Coleraine.  She died in 1907 aged 97.  I suspect that her father was the Henry Loughrey who married Anne Doggett in Tamlaght Finlagan parish church in 1806, but can't be 100% sure as Loughrey was a common name in the area (Ballykelly village is in the parish of Tamlaght Finlagan).

Hope this helps.

Offline Macharskin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those suggestions, I will try and follow them up.

May I ask how you found the information you have - were you able to find it on the web, or did you have to visit a local records office in the region? 

Best regards, Michael.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 20:15 GMT (UK) »
My primary source in both cases was oral history in the family. The names Henry and Loughrey were used in later generations of the Blair family which kept the memory alive.  The Mann connection was established from letters in the possession of my uncle between his father and the Mann family.  I have found some corroboration in church records in Ballykelly (both the Church of Ireland and Presbyterian records go back to the 1700s and are available on microfilm). Additional information on the Manns was available in old newspapers (Coleraine Chronicle and Londonderry Sentinel births, marriages and deaths available on cdrom from Coleraine Family History Society http://www.coleraine-fhs.org.uk/ ) and wills (see will abstracts on PRONI website http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars/wills_search.htm ).

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 09 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to these posts I now know that my gt gt gt grandparents were Henry Mann and Thomasina Mann (nee Church).  Does anyone have more information on this couple (BDM dates, parents names etc)?  Also, I have found some good information on their son William Church Mann, but I haven't been able to find his wife Margaret's maiden name and the date of their marriage. Can anyone help?
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Overmann

I have lots of stuff on the Church side of the family and a copy of William Church Mann's will, but like you don't know Margaret's maiden name.  Thomasina's parents were William and Anne Church (my gt gt gt gt grandparents) and she died on 26 June 1861 (born around 1790).  Once you have made 2 more posts I can PM you more details.  Look forward to swapping info.

AK2

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Akanex2

So that makes William and Anne Church my gt gt gt gt grandparents as well! The Church name has been carried on within the family since then and I have an uncle with Church as a middle name.  I also have a copy of William Church Mann's will and his son's (Henry Church Mann). Look forward to swapping info.

Thanks again
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Overmann

I can send you a personal message once you have made one more posting

Your 5th cousin

AK2

Offline vossen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 July 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate advice on how I might establish from which community in Derry/Londonderry my ancestors originated.

According to the Scottish 1851 Wigtownshire census,  Agnes, Elizabeth, George, Sarah, Martha, Mary and William MANN were born in Ireland between about 1834 and 1849 to James Mann and Janet LOUGHRIE.  Agnes Mann specified Co Derry/Londonderry in 1871-1901 Wigtownshire censuses as her birthplace so I am hoping that the rest of the family came from the same place.

Mother Janet was apparently born in Portpatrick, Wigtownshire, but her father Henry Loughrie was Irish, born abt 1771 (from 1851 Census). 

The Loughrie name has been spelled LOCHARY, LOUCHIE, LAWRIE in later documents which has slowed tracing the family somewhat!

Regards, Michael.