Author Topic: (Whysall) ... and 19th century social change  (Read 3561 times)

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
(Whysall) ... and 19th century social change
« on: Monday 29 December 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps, off-topic?

When I raised a small item (see "Royal Military Chronicle" 1813 [Ensign John Whysall] below), the magnificent Spendlove came up with a disturbing modern instance -- the transformation of the family farm into warehousing and, now, into modern housing.

This occurs to all of us. So I was also touched when, reviewing a series of unlogged documents, I came across a list of apprenticeships [see http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~spire/Yesterday/ApprenticeA-B.htm]. It clearly shows the shift from agriculture and trade to industry and mining.

In my particular case I see:

David WHYSALL son of Jacob of Lowes Hill Ripley 1854 and
Alfred WHYSALL son of Rbt WHYSALL malster Ripley 1864

both being apprenticed to the Butterley Company, originally based in Ripley, Derbys.

The next time I stand under the 240-foot span of the Barlow shed at St Pancras, manufactured by Butterley (the plates are still there), I shall have another cause for reflection.

Hint: don't stop at the names, however interesting they are. Pursue the social history.

Oh, and by the way: I've learned that "malster" is a regional alternative to the formal "maltster". Again, thanks, Spendlove.
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.
Census information may be Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.