Author Topic: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2  (Read 13824 times)

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2
« on: Tuesday 30 December 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know if Rolls Royce in Hucknall Notts was bombed during WW2?

My Great Aunt has told me that one of her uncles was injured or killed at Rolls Royce when it was bombed. I am trying to find some information to see if the info she has given me is correct.

I know that the Rolls Royce in Derby was bombed July 1942. I have contacted Rolls Royce in Derby, but they can't find any records of people with the surname Hallam who was injured or killed, when the Derby RR was bombed.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.  :)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
He should be listed on CWGC website if he was a civilian casualty, but I can't see anyone that would fit.
 1 HALLAM, DOROTHY ELLEN  Civilian   29/04/1941  33 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   PLYMOUTH, COUNTY BOROUGH

2  HALLAM, FRANK DANIEL  Civilian   29/04/1941  2 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   PLYMOUTH, COUNTY BOROUGH

3  HALLAM, GEORGE HENRY  Civilian   18/07/1944  Unknown Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   SUMATRA

4  HALLAM, HENRY GEORGE  Inspector   16/07/1944  Unknown Hong Kong Police Force United Kingdom Column 35. SAI WAN MEMORIAL

5  HALLAM, JEAN  Civilian   29/04/1941  5 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   PLYMOUTH, COUNTY BOROUGH

6  HALLAM, MAY MARY  Civilian   08/09/1940  36 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   BETHNAL GREEN, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH

7  HALLAM, VICTOR CHARLES  Civilian   21/03/1941  34 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   WEST HAM, COUNTY BOROUGH

8  HALLAM, WINIFRED GLADYS  Civilian   15/12/1940  15 Civilian War Dead United Kingdom   SHEFFIELD, COUNTY BOROUGH

What was his full name and date of birth?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaywit,

Thank you for your help.

I didn't realise that he would be on the CWGC.

My Great aunt can't remember which of her uncles it was.

Her uncles names are:

Thomas Hallam born 1885
Walter Hallam Born 1894
Bernard Hallam born 1895
William born 1899
Leeson Hallam born 1900 and died 1941.

Thank you once again for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Kelly You say Leeson died in 1941? I can't see a death registration for him in 1941.
There are a couple of William Hallam deaths registered in 1941 in Nottingham one aged 44 and the other aged 58 neither is quite right for your William.
Have you traced the brothers through to find their marriages, did they stay in the Nottingham area? I think you need to take what your greataunt says with a little pinch of salt until you can find proof.
Time and time again people find what they have been told has got mangled over the years .
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaywit,

Thank you for your reply.

Leeson Hallam died in the first quarter of 1941. I have traced Leeson's marriage and the names of his children.

The others are more difficult to trace because they have popular names!

One of my Great Aunts is actually adopted and she is the daughter of one of my Great Grandfathers brothers. The problem is my Great Aunt doesn't know which of the brothers was my other Great Aunts father.

All my Great Aunt can remember is her uncle died and then my Great Grandparents adopted his daughter.

No one in the family can remember which of the brothers it was because it wasn't really talked about.

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.  :)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Kelly have you traced all the children on the 1901 census?  I see there are 9 of them, and if you look back to 1891 it's possible there were even more.

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaywit,

I have traced all the children on the 1891 and 1901 census. Two of the daughters passed away and one of the brothers that I haven't listed died after my Great grandfather, so I can exclude him from one of the possible brothers that died during WW2.

I think I will try looking through the BMD index again, to see how many possible marriages there are for the brothers and also the sisters.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Offline diesel

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 February 09 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My husband says that they attempted to bomb Rolls Royce in WW2. A stick was dropped over the airfield but whether it hit anything he does not know. 1 bomb is 'alleged' to have landed on the Misk Hills.
You could try asking at the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust- they may be able to help- though I am not sure how you can contact them.
Diesel

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 February 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diesel,

Please thank your husband for me, for his help, it is truly appreciated.

I have contacted the Nottingham archives and I'm waiting for their reply. I will also contact The Rolls Royce heritage trust, I think I have their email address.

Thank you once again,

Kind regards

Kelly.